Fudgy raw vegan brownies, perfect for when you want an indulgent but healthier treat. You can make it with only 5 ingredients too!
5 ingredients needed to make the raw vegan brownies
I carefully selected 5 common and easily substitutable ingredients to make these brownies. They are:
- Pecans, walnuts OR almonds (I prefer either the first two)
- Dried dates OR medjool dates
- Raw cacao powder OR cocoa powder
- Maple syrup OR any other liquid sweetener
I personally prefer pecans or walnuts as they are often found in brownies. When they are mixed with the cacao/cocoa powder, you instantly get a feeling of nostalgia! Plus, their slight bitterness balances out the sweetness of the dates.
If you use dried dates, simply soak them in water for 2 hours before you use them. I often use dried dates because they are more AFFORDABLE than medjool dates! When combined with all the other ingredients, you can't tell the difference.
To take your brownies to the next level, you can also add a pinch of salt, a little espresso powder (to bring out the chocolate flavour) or whatever your heart desires!
How to make the chocolate avocado frosting
To minimise washing dishes, I'd highly recommend making the frosting first! That way, you're one step closer to enjoying these brownies with a cup of tea :).
Simply put all the frosting ingredients in a food processor and blend. After 1 minute or so, you'll have a super smooth and creamy frosting!
Either forget about making the brownies and eat the frosting by itself.... I speak from experience. OR scoop the frosting into a bowl and set aside. You don't have to make sure your processor is fully clean - we're using it again!
How to make the brownie part
To make the raw vegan brownie, simply add all the ingredients to your food processor and pulse until combined. This will take 1-5 minutes depending on how strong your food processor is!
Process the mixture for less time for a CHUNKY brownie.
Process the mixture for more time for a SMOOTHIE brownie.
Assembling the raw vegan brownies
Scoop the mixture into a lined cake or loaf tin then flatten the top with a spoon or spatula. Next, spread the avocado frosting on top as desired.
You can probably cut and enjoy the brownies at this stage but they might be a little messy.
I'd recommend CHILLING the brownie in the fridge for at least 1 hour. This will firm up the mixture and make it easier to cut!
Check out my other easy but indulgent recipes
- Raw Vegan Lamington Bliss Balls
- Cherry Ripe Cups
- Vegan Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Jam Tartlets
- Vegan Chocolate Mousse Pie with Berries
You may also like:
Raw Vegan Brownies with Avocado Frosting
Chocolate Avocado frosting
- ½ (~80g) medium-size avocado, flesh only
- ¼ cup (85g) maple syrup, or any other liquid sweetener to taste
- ¼ cup (25g) cocoa or raw cacao powder
- 2 cups (200g) pecans, walnuts or almonds
- ½ cup (100g) pitted dried dates or medjool dates, if they are dry, soak them in water for at least 2 hours
- ¼ cup (25g) cocoa or raw cacao powder
- ⅛ teaspoon espresso, optional
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper. I used a 12x22 cm or 5x9 inch tin but any small tin will work.
- Add all the frosting ingredients to a food processor. Process until smooth and there are no lumps of avocado. Scoop out into a bowl and set aside. You can leave the food processor dirty at this stage.
- Drain the dates if you soaked them. Add the drained dates and the rest of the ingredients to the food processor. Process for 1 minute or until combined. Process for a shorter time if you'd like chunky brownies and for a longer time if you'd like smoother fudgier brownies.*
- Scoop the brownie mixture into the lined loaf tin. Flatten the surface with the back of a spoon. Spread the avocado frosting on top.
- Chill the brownies in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Cut the brownies and serve as desired! Store the brownies in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.