Lamington balls which are easy to make and don't need baking. Each ball has a whole raspberry, cashew coconut filling, is dipped in a luscious chocolate ganache and coated with coconut.
What are lamingtons?!
Lamingtons are a very popular Australian cake where a vanilla sponge is covered covered in chocolate and dipped in dessicated coconut. If you're lucky, you'll find lamingtons with a jam or cream filling! They are common in local bakeries and supermarkets in Australia.
In saying that, I've seen lamingtons sold in bakeries overseas which looked and tasted very similar to what I have at home. However, I have to say there is definitely a certain nostalgia from having an Aussie-made lamington!
How to make lamingtons vegan?
I haven't published a recipe for baked lamingtons, YET. However, I made the most epic vegan lamingtons for my Melbourne book launch which people claimed to be 'the best lamingtons they ever ate.' I will share the recipe with you all soon, so watch this space!
For this recipe, I turned the classic lamington into an unbaked raw-ish treat by:
- making the vanilla sponge a fluffy cashew coconut mixture
- making the chocolate frosting into a chocolate ganache
- using a whole raspberry instead of raspberry jam
One of the most popular recipes on my blog is my raw vegan lamingtons with raspberry jam and cashew cream. As delicious as these are, I find it a little fiddly to make especially if you want lots of them (who doesn't).
I took my favourite parts of that recipe and simplified it to make into a bliss ball version! These lamington bliss balls are amazing because they are so easy to eat and you get almost a bite of all flavours in each nibble!
Can I make these lamington balls for non-vegans?!
YES! I made the bliss balls for several events and they were always a big hit with vegans and non-vegans.
I love serving the lamington balls at parties. They are simply the best size for guests to pick up and nibble on. Well, that's if I don't eat up all of the bliss balls before guests arrive ;).
Okay, how do I make these lamington balls?
I've also made an step-by-step YouTube video showing how to make these lamington balls.
Feel free to check out my other videos on my channel and remember to subscribe :).
More vegan Australian recipes
Decadent raw vegan lamington bliss balls
- 1 cup (130g) raw cashews
- ⅓ cup (27g) desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup (~100g) any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30g) coconut oil
- 10 x whole raspberries, fresh or frozen
Chocolate (note 1)
- ⅓ cup (~50g) cacao butter, chopped
- ⅓ cup (35g) cocoa or raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup (~100g) any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup, to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30g) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons (30g) thick scoopable canned coconut cream
- ½ cup (40g) desiccated coconut
To make the bliss balls:
- Add the cashews and coconut to a food processor and process until it forms coarse crumbs. Add the rice malt syrup and coconut oil to and process until combined.
- Using wet hands, gently wrap about 2 tablespoons of the bliss ball mixture around each raspberry making sure there are no gaps otherwise the raspberry may leak. Place balls on a lined plate or tray and set aside in the freezer until needed.
To prepare the chocolate coating:
- If you're making your own chocolate, melt all ingredients in a small saucepan or in a double-boiler over low heat. Use an immersion blender to fully emulsify the mixture so the oils are fully combined with the rest of the ingredients. If you're using store-bought chocolate, melt it in a saucepan or in a double-boiler over low heat.
- When the balls are firm to the touch, remove from the freezer. Using a fork, quickly dip each ball in the chocolate then toss in the coconut. Return the balls to the freezer for at least 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
- Store bliss balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. The bliss balls can be kept at room temperature for 1 day.
- Or use ½ cup (50g) store-bought vegan chocolate.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.