A decadent and creamy chocolate avocado mousse on top of a cookie-like tart base. Vegan, gluten free and soy free. It can also be made refined sugar free and nut free!
Have you ever made chocolate mousse using avocados? It is super easy! All you need to do is add avocado flesh and a few common ingredients to a food processor and process it until it’s ultra creamy. Your guests will never know there is avocado in the dessert! The trick is to make sure you use enough cocoa powder to cover the green colour and sweetener or melted chocolate to transform the taste.
The first time I made chocolate avocado mousse, I didn’t blend it properly. It looked and tasted like a sweet lumpy green-brown mess… or something else you see in the toilet. As a result, I didn’t understand why people raved about chocolate avocado mousse!! However, when I gained the courage to make chocolate mousse again, I used a better food processor and actual melted chocolate. I then realised what I was missing out on all this time!
I took the creamy mousse to the next level by using it as a filling for a tart. Unlike my popular Berry and Chocolate Mousse Tart, this tart has no soy which is great for those who avoid it or cannot eat it!
The mousse is super creamy. It looks ‘grainy’ in the picture but it’s just due to the way I cut it!
The crust is a simplified version of my Vegan Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies, which is one of my favourite blog recipes! The easy and crispy cookie base is the perfect accompaniment to the chocolate avocado mousse.
I topped the tart with fresh strawberries and pomegranate arils to balance out the creaminess of the avocado and richness of the chocolate. However, the tart will also go well with other berries, bananas or coconut. Alternatively, you can skip the fruit altogether!
Do you love chocolate but after something slightly different? Feel free to check out my:
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below and rate it as it would really help us and other readers! If you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse Tart
Chocolate cookie base
Chocolate avocado mousse filling
- ~350g avocado flesh, (around 2 medium-size avocados)
- 2 cups (200g) vegan chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (120mL) canned coconut cream, (UHT will work too)
- 1/2 cup (100g) sweetener or sugar, of choice and to taste
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa or raw cacao powder, to taste
- Pinch of any good-quality salt
- ~1 cup (120g) fresh fruit, such as berries and pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- For the base: Add all ingredients to a food processor. Mix until combined and it forms a soft but pliable dough. Press mixture into a lined tart tin (I used a 20cm wide and 4cm high tart tin. If you don't have one that deep, use a slightly bigger tart tin)
- Bake the base in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until it is dry to the touch and slightly puffed up. Set aside to cool.
- For the filling: Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan or a double boiler. Add all ingredients to your food processor. Process for at least 2 minutes or all of the ingredients are combined and there are no chunks of avocado.
- When the base has cooled, pour the avocado mixture into the tart.
- Decorate the tart with berries or whatever else you might like
- Set aside the tart in the fridge for 4 hours or until set