Spiced vegan pumpkin coffee cake with a cinnamon swirl and generously topped with pecan crumble! Tender, moist and utterly delicious!
This cake is fluffy, moist, easy to make and is perfect for breakfast, afternoon tea or dessert! If you're in North America or Canada, this cake is great for September/October, Fall and Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving!
What to expect from this pumpkin coffee cake
This cake has 3 components:
- Fluffy vegan pumpkin cake. Moist, eggless and all the good things! The recipe is based on my fluffy pumpkin donut recipe and easy sweet potato snack cake.
- 2 ingredient cinnamon sugar layer.
- Simple pecan crumb or streusal topping (it can be made nut free if you're allergic or avoiding).
Ingredients for the vegan pumpkin cake
To make the cake component, you'll need a few common pantry ingredients including:
All-purpose / plain flour. If you're gluten free, I've included a gluten free option in the grey recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Light brown sugar, cane sugar or coconut. Light brown sugar is the best for flavour and it's adequately light in colour so you can still see/taste the cinnamon swirl.
Pumpkin puree, either canned or homemade.
Plant-based milk. Any variety will be fine!
Light-tasting vegetable oil, such as sunflower, some olive oils, rapeseed etc.
Pumpkin spice or a homemade blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
Baking powder AND soda to make sure the pumpkin cake is fluffy!
Preparing the batter for the vegan pumpkin coffee cake
Like all of my cake recipes, these steps are SUPER easy.
Simply add all the liquid ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix until combined. Add all your dry ingredients and mix through! The batter is thick but will bake beautifully!
Preparing the cinnamon sugar and crumb layers
To make the cinnamon sugar layer, simply mix some coconut or dark brown sugar with cinnamon.
To prepare the crumble, add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until it is crumbly. There shouldn't be any pockets of butter or flour but the mixture should be 'chunky' like a typical crumble mixture.
Assembling the vegan pumpkin coffee cake
First, pour half of the cake batter in the tin and smooth the surface (the batteris quite thick).
Liberally sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top then top with the remaining cake batter. You may need to smooth the surface again.
The last step is to scatter the crumb topping/streusel mixture. It may look like A LOT of crumble but it will all stick when the cake bakes.
I used an 8 inch (20 cm) round cake tin but an 8 inch square cake tin or loaf tin will also work! You will just have to adjust the baking time :).
Top tip: baking the vegan pumpkin cake
My top tip for baking the cake is to keep an eye on the crumb topping. It's high in nuts and sugar so it may brown quickly.
If your crumb topping already looks golden brown but your cake is still uncooked, cover your cake tin with a baking tray or aluminium foil (as long as they don't touch the cake).
This traps in the heat and forces the middle of the cake to cook, rather than the outside. Alternatively, you can reduce the oven heat by 10-15°C (50-60°F)
Want more easy vegan pumpkin recipes?
- Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake (baked)
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
- Pumpkin Trifle
Or see my other simple vegan cakes and bakes
You may also like:
Vegan Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Pumpkin Cake ingredients
- 1 cup (200g) pumpkin puree, canned or homemade (not pumpkin pie puree)
- ¾ cup (190g) dairy free milk, such as almond, soy or coconut,
- ¾ cup (140g) light brown sugar, cane sugar or coconut sugar (note 1)
- ⅓ cup (85g) light-tasting vegetable oil, such as sunflower or rapeseed
- 2 cups (250g) plain or all-purpose flour, (note 2 for gluten free option)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin spice, (note 3 for homemade blend)
Cinnamon sugar layer (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease or line a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake pan.
To prepare the cake:
- Add the pumpkin puree, milk, sugar and oil to a large mixing bowl and mix until combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until there are no big lumps. Set aside.
To prepare the cinnamon sugar layer:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until well combined.
To prepare the crumb topping:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until there are no more pockets of flour and butter and everything is roughly combined.
To assemble the cake:
- Spread half the cake batter into your cake tin and smooth the surface with a spatula or spoon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top. Dollop the remaining cake batter on top and smooth the surface. Sprinkle the crumble on top (there'll be a lot of crumble).
- Bake the cake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted into the middle and there is no wet batter on it. If the cake is browning too quickly at any point, cover the cake tin with an oven-safe tray or aluminium foil.
- Allow the cake to rest in the cake tin for at least 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the tin, dust with powdered sugar (if desired) and serve!
- The cake can be kept at room temperature for 1 day or in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
- Light brown sugar produces the best results as it provides a subtle caramel flavour and ensures the cinnamon layer is still obvious. However, the other sugar types may be used.
- For a gluten free vegan pumpkin cake, substitute the plain flour for a high quality 1:1 gluten free flour OR 1 cup (100g) almond flour and 1 cup (160g) gluten free all-purpose flour.
- For a homemade pumpkin spice blend, use 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger and ½ teaspoon ground cloves.
This recipe was originally published in 2020 and updated in 2021.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.