Vegan roasted pumpkin alfredo topped with toasted walnuts and crispy sage leaves. The recipe is minimal fuss but has maximum flavour!
Unlike North America, pumpkin isn't a huge thing in Australia. However, it's by far my favourite vegetable as it's naturally sweet, satiating and can be used to make the creamiest soups, pastas and desserts.
I swear by butternut pumpkin (which other countries call 'butternut squash'). In my opinion, it's the most sweet, creamy and robust out of all pumpkin varieties. I've tried roasting all the other types and they just don't do justice! Plus, whenever I eat butternut pumpkin, I think of creamy butter haha.
This cozy vegan pumpkin alfredo recipe:
- Nut free
- Packed with flavour
- Very customisable
All you need to do is roast all the pumpkin, garlic and onion in the oven. Pop it in a high powered blender with the rest of the ingredients then combine the luscious sauce with your pasta!
The vegan pumpkin alfredo sauce will complement all types of pasta. I used rigatoni but have enjoyed it with spaghetti, ravioli and pasta shells :).
If you're feeling extra fancy or have dinner guests over, I'd recommend toasting some walnuts and sage on a frying pan. The walnuts and sage will become crispy and aromatic and add extra depth to your pasta.
If you want to make this recipe in advance, I'd recommend keeping the sauce separate from the pasta to prevent the pasta from getting soggy (especially if you use gluten free pasta). Simply add both the sauce and pasta to a saucepan to reheat.
Check out my other vegan pumpkin recipes or vegan 'Fall' recipes
- Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake (baked)
- Deep Dish Pizza with jammy caramelised pumpkin
- Vegan Pumpkin Chai Donuts
- Rainbow Lasagna
- Easy Vegan Apple Loaf
- Apple Crumble Tea Cake
Or see my other vegan pasta recipes
Vegan Roasted Pumpkin Alfredo
Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
- ~1 ¾ cup (200g) butternut pumpkin, roughly chopped
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 medium-size brown onion, chopped roughly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled but whole
- 1 cup (130g) raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
- ½ cup (125mL) plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- ½ cup (125mL) vegan-friendly stock, or more milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Generous pinch of any good-quality salt, and pepper
- 2 serves pasta or ravioli, gluten-free if needed, cooked to packet instructions
- ¼ cup (30g) walnuts
- Fresh sage leaves
- Olive oil, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Spread pumpkin on a lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Add the onion and garlic to the baking tray. Bake for another 10 minutes or until everything is golden and soft.
- Add the roast vegetables and rest of the sauce ingredients to a high powered blender. Blend until it is as smooth as possible. Pour the sauce over your cooked pasta and mix. Divide into 2 serving bowls.
- If desired, add the walnuts, sage leaves and olive oil to a small fry pan over medium-high heat. Saute for 5 minutes until the walnuts and sage are fragrant and toasted. Sprinkle on top of your hot pasta. Enjoy!
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.