This easy vegan alfredo pasta sauce is finger-licking delicious and uses just a few common pantry staples. Even though it's dairy free, it's enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike!
Conventional alfredo sauce
Traditional alfredo sauce consists of butter, cheese and sometimes cream. Basically the most un-vegan ingredients you can think of!
If you wanna be REAL, I associate alfredo pasta with a convenient packet mix. All you need to do is pour, stir and heat. As a child, I used to inhale alfredo pasta soo quickly that I'd get indigestion.
This recipe for vegan alfredo is on par with all my childhood memories.
What does vegan alfredo pasta taste like?
I was sceptical about how vegan alfredo would taste. However, I was so extremely surprised when I first made it. This alfredo sauce is:
- CREAMY and smooth
- Easy to make
What ingredients do I need to make vegan alfredo sauce?!
Raw cashews provide an excellent base for the sauce as they have a subtle flavour and provide a satiating creaminess and fattiness.
The onion and garlic provide an addictive umami to the vegan alfredo sauce. If you don't have the fresh stuff, you can use powdered onion and garlic.
Nutritional yeast adds a touch of cheesiness and dose of B12 that all vegans need!
Plant-based milk gives the sauce moisture and that slurpy goodness.
Salt adds flavour to the alfredo sauce and brings out the flavour of the onion and garlic.
Ok, how do I make the sauce?
All you need to do is:
- Soak the cashews in hot water.
- Saute the onion and garlic.
- Drain the cashews. Add all the sauce ingredients into a high-powered blender.
- Blend until smooth and mix with the cooked pasta!
With the help of a high-powered blender, you can make whole cashews into a decadent creamy sauce.
It's simple, easy and quick!
Customising the vegan alfredo sauce
I sauteed some mushrooms and spinach and added them to my pasta. They are delicious and a sneaky way to get in more vegetables!
You can bulk up your pasta with other ingredients such as:
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Roasted tomatoes, eggplant or zuchinni
- Pine nuts
If you'd like a cheesier sauce, feel free to add ¼ cup of grated vegan cheese.
Or you can give the sauce a whole new flavour! When you put the sauce ingredients in the blender, you can also add:
- Basil for an alfredo pesto sauce
- Roasted capsicum
- Roasted tomatoes
What type of pasta can I use?
I've used spaghetti, fettuccine and basically all types of pasta for this alfredo recipe and they all worked really well!
Here are a few examples of what you can use
- Any short pasta such as macaroni
- Wholegrain pasta
- Gluten-free pasta
- Zuchinni noodles (zoodles)
For a basil version of this recipe, check out my Basil Alfredo Zoodles!
I hope you enjoy this recipe xo
Easy vegan alfredo pasta
- 4 servings of pasta of choice
- Dash of any vegetable oil, such as extra virgin olive, or sub with a tablespoon of vegan butter or water
- 1 medium-size brown onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (130g) raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours*
- 1 cup (250mL) dairy free milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- ¼ cup (12g) nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon any good-quality salt, or to taste
- ¼ cup (25g) vegan cheese, grated (optional)
- ½ cup (~35g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (~30g) baby spinach
- Fill a medium-size pot with water and cook the pasta according to its packet directions. Skip this step if you are using zoodles.
- In a large frypan over high heat, add the onion and oil. Saute for 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the sauteed onion and garlic to a high-powered blender.
- Drain the cashews and add them to the blender with the milk, nutritional yeast, salt and cheese if using. Blend until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- If you're using any of the optional add ins: In the large frypan, saute the mushrooms in a dash of oil until golden brown. Add the spinach and saute for 1 minute or until wilted.
- Add the creamy sauce to the frypan and heat through. If you used cheese, make sure it has completely melted. Add the pasta and mix until well combined.
- Divide the pasta between 4 plates and enjoy! The pre-prepared pasta can be stored separately from the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.