This vegan alfredo pasta is SUPER easy to make! It’s creamy, satiating and you’ll probably just want to drink the sauce! Of course, you’re welcome to add extra vegetables or seasonings to suit your taste.
As a child, I used to inhale alfredo pasta soo quickly that I’d get indigestion. We made alfredo pasta from a packet mix – pour, stir, cook and you’re done! The simplicity and convenience was great! I associated the creaminess of alfredo with desserts like ice cream, custard or cream. I basically saw alfredo pasta as a sneaky way to enjoy dessert at dinner. SO DELICIOUS!
However, in my adolescence, I developed an antagonism to cream and dairy products. I avoided alfredo pasta for about 10 years!
When I officially went vegan, I read that you could make alfredo pasta sauce out of cashews. I was sceptical about how you could turn whole nuts into a creamy sauce. However, I had nothing to lose by trying it!
I popped all of the ingredients into my blender and tasted a spoonful of the sauce. And WOW! My eyes rolled to the back of my head and I had a mini taste-gasm. What have I been missing out on for the past decade?!?!To make sure no one ever misses out on alfredo again, I crafted this recipe!
All you need to do is soak some cashews and blend them with any plant-based milk. I added sauteed onion and garlic for extra umami! I love adding mushrooms to my sauce, but I know there are lots of people strongly opposed to them so you could always substitute it for sun dried tomatoes or vegetables of your choice.
I made the sauce to go with zoodles (raw zucchini noodles) and gluten-free pasta but you can use any pasta you have in your pantry! I was going to leave one for my partner, but I might’ve begged to have it back so I could eat it myself. Haha.
For a basil version of this recipe, check out my Basil Alfredo Zoodles!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I did xo
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Please leave a comment below and rate it. This will help me, other readers and allow this blog to be seen by more people! If you post it on social media, please tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments.
If you have questions about this recipe or blog post, please leave a comment below and I will respond as soon as possible. Rainbow Nourishments receives a high number of questions through social media and email and is unable to respond to each individual query. Comments on this post are more likely to receive a response!
Easy vegan alfredo pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Dash of any vegetable oil, such as extra virgin olive, (or a knob of vegan butter)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours (Use raw cashews for a neutral taste. Use roasted cashews for a nutty taste.)
- 1 cup plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup vegan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1/2 tsp any good-quality salt, or to taste
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup baby spinach, optional
- 4 servings of zoodles or pasta
- In a large saucepan over high heat, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until golden brown. Add the onion and garlic to a high-powered blender.
- Fill a medium-size saucepan with water and cook pasta according to packet directions. Skip this step if you are using zoodles.
- Drain the cashews and add them to the blender with the milk, nutritional yeast, cheese and salt. Blend until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Saute the mushrooms and spinach in the saucepan with a dash of oil or water until softened. Add the creamy sauce to the saucepan and stir until the cheese has completely melted. Add the pasta or zoodles and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide pasta or zoodles among 4 plates and enjoy! The pre-prepared pasta or zoodles can be stored separately from the sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.