Who knew that breakfast could be so simple, yet so decadent?! I always make sure I have a hearty breakfast in the morning as my day is often busy and I may not have proper meals at the ideal times. These overnight oats are super creamy and taste like you’re having dessert for breakfast, which is a huge win IMO.
The added chia seeds gives the oats a thick and creamy texture and is a substantive source of protein which will help keep you full until lunch time!
The oats are naturally sweetened with grilled bananas and date caramel, a combo that is meant to be. I always love a bit of crunch in my meals, so I added some nut butter and cacao nibs too!
On the topic of bananas, I watched a documentary last night on ABC iview War on Waste. The first episode talked about the ridiculously high cosmetic standards that major supermarkets have with their produce such as bananas and how much food is wasted at farms to meet these standards. Up to 40% of bananas was disposed at one particular banana plantation in Northern Queensland! This made me so upset and angry! When I saw the pile of banana scraps, I thought ‘do you know how many vegans would LOVE to have those bananas’ and ‘do you know how many disadvantaged families would benefit from them’. Oh so many guilty thoughts ran through my head.
I do almost everything I can to minimise waste from my personal life and business. I recycle everything that fits in our council’s recycling program, I collect my plastics and recycle them at my local supermarket’s recycling program and I own a compost which I use for all my food scraps. We never use plastic bags and would prefer to awkwardly hold 20 bananas by hand. However, I did a quiz on WWF on my ecological footprint and despite all of my efforts, it will still take around 2 Earths to sustain my lifestyle! That’s insane!
Rather than feeling an overwhelming amount of guilt about my amount of waste, in the next few months, I’m going to try to be more active with a few things:
- Shop more at my local bulk foods store. I just need to remember to bring in my old jars!
- Be more conscious about what food I have in my fridge and try to cook meals that use my leftovers!
- Be more organised with grocery shopping so I don’t have to make multiple trips when I forget something!
- Raise awareness about the environmental benefits of going vegan!
What would you like to change in your personal life to minimise waste?
I hope you love this recipe!
Banoffee overnight chia oats
- The night before, combine all of the oat ingredients in a large jar. Mix or shake until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Set aside in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, mix the oats with a spoon to make sure all of the ingredients are well-combined.
- Divide the oats in your bowls.
- Slice the banana(s) lengthways. Spinkle coconut sugar over cut surface of banana and cook on a fry pan or under a grill until golden brown.
- For the caramel, combine the medjool dates, milk, tahini and salt in a small bowl. Use a whizz stick to blend until completely smooth.
- Arrange grilled banana and caramel on oats in your Coconut Bowls. Sprinkle cacao nibs on the oats and decorate your bowls as desired. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below and rate it as it would really help us and other readers! If you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments.