Naturally sweetened and wholesome muffins, packed with fruit, whole grains and topped with a moreish crumble! I have a soft spot for blueberry muffins as my cousins and I used to make them when we were kids. I'd walk over to their house, play with some toys (or Nintendo) and we'd get our hands messy with canned blueberries and enjoy the fruits of our labour.
These are an adultified and fancier version of those muffins. I sweetened them with only pureed apple and minimal coconut sugar. And the crumble adds a wonderful crunchy granola-like texture and bang to the muffins.
They didn't last long in my house. I enjoyed them for breakfast or a snack and gave some to my partner for work.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know if you make it!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
Apple and blueberry oat crumble muffins
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Place the chopped apple in a small saucepan with a dash of water, Boil for 5 minutes then simmer for about 10 minutes until soft. Puree with a whizz stick until there are no big lumps. Set aside to cool.
- While the apple puree is cooling, add all crumble ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add all muffin ingredients except the blueberries to a bowl and mix. Stir through the blueberries. Distribute muffin mixture into lined cupcake moulds. Sprinkle each muffin with crumble mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted into a cupcake and comes out clean.
- Enjoy cupcakes warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months