Quick, tasty and filling Mexican-style nourish or buddah bowls! These are perfectly balanced with carbs from the brown rice, vegetables, protein and some creamy fat from the avocado!
I love getting Mexican food to takeaway for dinner. However, in order to save money, these nourish bowls have become a staple in our house. They are so easy to make and don't make us feel gluggy or super thirsty afterwards (like many takeaways do).
We often use the toppings in burritos/wraps instead of on rice as well! Feel free to mix and change the toppings and add different vegetables and some chilli powder! This recipe is just some inspiration for what you can do for dinner.
I'll keep this post short and sweet, just like this recipe. I hope you enjoy making it!
Other healthy vegan lunch ideas
Mexican Nourish Bowls
- ½ cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 bell pepper / capsicum
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 x 400g can black beans
- 1 corn on the cob
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon cilantro / coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- Pinch salt, as desired
To serve (optional)
- 1 lime
- Rinse brown rice and add to small saucepan with 1 ¼ cups water. Bring to boil for 5 minutes then reduce to medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Combine spices for spice mix and set aside.
- Remove core from capsicum and slice thinly. Saute with oil or water in large saucepan with half of spices. When the capsicum has softened, add spinach to the saucepan to wilt. Remove from the heat and set aside the vegetables.
- Drain the black beans and add to the saucepan with the rest of the spices. Saute for 5 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Set aside.
- Boil the corn cob for 5 minutes then cut off kernels. Dice the tomato and mix with corn in a small bowl.
- Remove the flesh from the avocado and mash flesh with the back of a fork.
- To assemble, scoop the brown rice into two bowls. Top with capsicum mix, black beans, tomato and corn salsa and avocado. Serve with lime juice, or as desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Salt Valley says
Now this is called a complete meal. Thanks for sharing.
Lisa Viger is Planted365 says
This looks SO delicious!
Hazel Hoffman says
Love Love Love this recipe
Aw, thank you Hazel!! xo