Easy vegan peanut butter thumbrint cookies with a jam centre. Oil-free and healthy!
Peanut butter and cookies turned up a (sexy) notch with raspberry chia jam! Vegan, refined sugar free, gluten-free, soy-free and high in protein! And there is less than 10 ingredients!
What more could you seriously want?!
To be honest, I never grew up with peanut butter and jelly/jam. Maybe because it was more of an 'American thing' or maybe it was because my parents were very traditional and steered away from any Western trends. Or maybe it's because I developed a fear of nut butters so I'm making up for it it NOW!
In my cake business, my cheesecakes with peanut butter often sells out first. I wondered why?! The more and more I ate peanut butter with jam, the more I understood how people can become addicted to the salty nutty goodness (that sounds odd, but let's leave it) and the sweet tones of jam.
So I realised I needed to learn how to really cook with it.
The ingredients for this recipe are pretty basic and you probably have most of them already in your pantry. If you don't have brown rice flour, I'm sure any other flour (without raising agents) will work.
I gobbled up a few right of the cookies while they were fresh from the oven and my partner ate the rest in one sitting. I believe in counting good memories over counting calories... who's with me?!
The cookies are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside... just how I like it! You could cook them for longer if you prefer crunchier cookies but just make sure they don't burn.
For a nut-free option, you could easily sub sunflower seed butter for peanut butter. I haven't tried it but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
Easy peanut butter and jam cookies
Peanut butter cookie
- ½ cup + 3 tbsp brown rice flour
- 3-5 tbsp coconut sugar, to taste
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries or strawberries, defrosted
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup, to taste
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with a spoon until combined.
- Add peanut butter and milk to bowl and mix until thoroughly combined or until the mixture forms a dough.
- Scoop 1-2 tbsp of the dough at a time, roll into a ball then gently flatten onto lined baking tray. Indent each cookie with your finger to create space for the jam.
- Bake cookies in oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges have turned golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for the chia jam, mash the defrosted raspberries or strawberries with the back of a fork. Mix in the chia seeds and rice malt syrup until combined. Set aside to thicken.
- When cookies have cooled down and chia jam has thickened, spoon jam into the centre of each cookie.
- Devour immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.
Could you use pb2 for this to cut down on fat?
I haven't tried it myself but I'd say it would work!
Do you have any substitute for the rice flour? Can I use a gluten containing flour (like whole wheat) without it messing everything up?
Yes you can definitely use regular flour. If the cookies are too dry or too wet after you mix everything in, put in a tablespoon of flour or milk and mix it until it forms a cookie dough texture.
Loved this simple recipe! Thank you
Aw thank you! My pleasure!
This looks amazing! Yum! Thanks for sharing.
Margaret Clayton says
These sound really delicious.
Thanks Margaret! They really were delicious!