Vegan banana bread donuts with a luscious nutty frosting. Healthy and easy to make, just like my banana muffins!
Before I became vegan, I had an obsession with banana bread and finding the 'perfect' recipe for it. I have a recipe notebook from about 10 years ago and the first few pages noted details of my million variations of banana bread. I experimented with various amounts of nuts, banana, sweeteners etc. It took me about 3 years to find the 'perfect' recipe for my family - wholesome, no refined sugars and packed with nuts.
Over time, I used less and less animal products in my food and eventually became vegan. However, I was reluctant to find the 'perfect' vegan banana bread recipe. Vegan baking requires different proportions and ingredients from conventional baking and it took many tries and years to find even a basic cake recipe. The struggle.
Alas, my hunger and cravings kicked in so I embarked on creating a really really good gluten free cake recipe. I've probably tried 10 different recipes for gluten free cakes in the last month (someone's gotta do it) and I couldn't be happier with my final recipes!
The mashed bananas in these gluten free donuts are so important. They help the ingredients stick together so the donuts are not crumbly like many gluten free cakes and oh so moist.
And if it's any consolation, my picky man-child partner devoured all of the donuts himself. Next time I make these, I'll make sure I make more so I can actually enjoy some myself.
I hope you love making these as much as I did! xo
More easy vegan banana desserts
Baked banana bread almond donuts
Banana bread dry ingredients
Banana bread wet ingredients
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4 hours
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- ½ cup raw almonds, crushed
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add all dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix until combined
- Add all wet ingredients to a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Pipe or spoon banana bread mixture into a non-stick donut tray. Bake in oven for 12 – 15 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted into one and comes out clean.
- Let donuts cool in the pan. After 15 minutes, turn donuts out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, drain the cashews and add to a blender with the milk and maple syrup. Blend until as smooth as possible and it becomes the consistency of yoghurt.
- When the donuts have cooled, spread the icing on the donuts and sprinkle almonds to decorate.
- Serve donuts immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.