Incredible vegan tiramisu cupcakes with an easy vanilla cupcake, coffee soak, espresso fudge filling and coffee frosting. These have everything you love about tiramisu but in an easy cupcake recipe!
This post is sponsored by Nature's Charm. As always, all opinions are my own!
What to expect from these cupcakes
These vegan coffee cupcakes are seriously next level. They have ALL the textures of classic tiramisu from that coffee-spiked sponge to a dreamy cream layer.
There are 4 different components to these cupcakes which might sound overwhelming but they're extremely easy to prepare (e.g. mix water with instant espresso).
Ingredients you'll need
You'll need less than 10 ingredients including:
- Pantry staples: flour, sugar, plant-based milk, baking powder, instant espresso, vanilla, ACV and salt.
- Next level ingredients: Nature's Charm Chocolate Fudge Sauce, Nature's Charm Whipped Coconut Cream.
How to make these cupcakes
First, we need to make the most simple vegan vanilla cupcake. Mix your dry ingredients, add your wet ingredients, divide and bake!
Use a knife or apple corer to remove the centre of the cupcakes. Then 'dab' or 'drizzle' your coffee onto the cupcakes.
Fill each cupcake with the fudge filling. Then pipe coconut cream on top!
The fudge filling is optional but it adds a cool surprise to the cupcakes!
The coffee soak and whipped cream aren't optional as they transform the plain vegan vanilla cupcakes into an exciting tiramisu dessert!
Customising the cupcakes
If you're making these cupcakes for adults, feel free to add Frangelico, Tia Maria, vegan Baileys your liquer of choice to the coffee soak. As of mid-2021, those liqueurs are vegan (according to those linked websites) but feel free to double check before you make purchase them.
If you're making vegan gluten-free tiramisu cupcakes, refer to the gluten-free notes in the recipe card below!
Prefer healthy vegan cupcakes (or healthier)? These cupcakes can be made refined sugar free if you use coconut sugar instead of cane/regular sugar. However, if you do this, your cupcakes will be brown instead of white/yellow.
If you don't want a whipped coconut cream frosting, I'd recommend my cream cheese frosting from my carrot cake cupcake recipe.
Making a cake for a larger celebration? This cake can be multiplied and made into a larger vegan tiramisu cake! Simply bake it in 1 x 8 inch (20 cm) cake tin or 2 x 6 inch (15 cm) cake tins. The baking time will depend on your oven but will be from 30-50 minutes (use a skewer to test for doneness).
Check out my other vegan cupcake recipes:
You may also like this vegan chocolate recipe:
Vegan Tiramisu Cupcakes
Cupcake dry ingredients
Cupcake wet ingredients
- 1 cup (250mL) dairy free milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- ⅓ cup (80mL) light-tasting vegetable oil, such as sunflower or rapeseed
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-2 tsp instant coffee granules, to taste
- 2 tsp cane sugar, or coconut sugar
Fudge filling (optional)
- 200g Nature's Charm Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- 1-2 tsp instant coffee granules, to taste
- 1 can (400g) Nature's Charm Coconut Whipping Cream, chilled
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a cupcake tray with liners.
To make the cupcakes:
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined oruntil there are no lumps. Add all the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide the batter between your cupcake liners so they are about ¾ full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted into a cupcake and it comes out clean. The baking time will depend on your oven and the size of your individual cupcakes.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tray for 5 minutes then cool them on a wire rack.
To make the coffee soak:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the ingredients to dissolve.
To make the fudge filling:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes toallow the ingredients to dissolve.
To make the frosting:
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl or stand mixer. Whisk until the coconut cream has soft peaks and the instant coffee has dissolved.
- When the cupcakes have cooled, use an apple corer or knife to remove the middle of each cupcake. Dip each cupcake in the coffee mixture or use a pastry brush or spoon to sprinkle the coffee soak on each cupcake.
- Spoon the fudge filling into each cupcake.
- Use a piping bag with a star or round nozzle to pipe the whipped coconut cream onto the cooled cupcakes. Alternatively, use a knife to spread the frosting on the cupcakes.
- Serve immediately. Alternatively, store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. Allow them to come to room temperaturefor 10 minutes before serving.
** If you prefer a vegan cream cheese frosting, use the frosting from my carrot cake cupcake recipe and omit the walnuts.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.