Epic homemade vegan ice cream cake combining an egg free chocolate cake and layers of store bought ice cream.
So, in preparation for my big 30th birthday, I'm testing out more cake styles and ways to decorate cakes (that's a fair enough reason, cough excuse, right?!). I would travel far for good vegan ice cream so I thought I'd treat myself with a decadent chocolate ice cream cake!
I've tried making my own ice cream at home but, I must admit, if you don't have an ice cream maker, the taste and texture doesn't beat store-bought ice cream. Store-bought ice creams are more creamy rather than icy and you can usually eat them straight out of the freezer. Plus, if you're going to do kind to yourself for your birthday, you might as well indulge is your favourite food, right?!
If you can't tell by my Instagram or Facebook, I love OTT cakes with a lot of layers and toppings... obviously my own birthday cake will take this to a whole new level. I decorated it with ice cream cones and easy-peasy peanut butter cookies which I turned into ice cream sandwiches.
So I guess this cake is just like an elaborate sundae... with allllll of the toppings but set in a cake mould. Sounds good, right?!
It goes without saying but feel free to go as crazy or minimal with the toppings as you like!
See my other vegan ice cream recipes
- Vegan Berry Ice Cream Cake
- Peanut butter and blueberry ‘no-churn’ ice cream with french toast sourdough
- Mango Coconut Weis Ice Cream Bars
Ultimate chocolate vegan ice cream cake
Chocolate cake base (1 cup of any chocolate cake or make your own as per below)
Other cake layers
- 4 cups Favourite vegan Ice cream, preferably of 2 different flavours
- ½ cup vegan chocolate
- Ice cream cones
- Preheat oven to 180C
- For the chocolate cake base, add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix until combined. Pour into a small lined tray then bake for 7-10 minutes or until cooked. Remove from oven and cool.
- For the peanut butter cookies, prepare and bake according to recipe. Remove from oven and cool.
- For the ice cream cake, crumble the chocolate cake into a bowl and add ½ cup peanut butter ice cream. Mix until just combined and press into a lined 15cm cake tin. Put aside in the freezer to firm up.
- For the next layer, soften one ice cream flavour at room temperature. Spread over first layer, crumble half of the peanut butter cookies on the surface and gently press in. Return the cake tin to the freezer.
- For the final layer, soften the second ice cream flavour at room temperature. Scoop into cake tin and return to the freezer.
- When the top layer has completely frozen, remove the cake from the freezer then remove from the tin. Gently melt the chocolate over a double boiler and drizzle over cake.
- To decorate, use remaining ice cream, peanut butter cookies and cones to make ice cream sandwiches and/or ice cream cones. If the cake begins to melt, return it to the freezer until solid. Place decorations on cake and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!