Epic vegan-friendly sandwich packed with roast vegetables, avocado and pesto.
Why have a salad sandwich when you can have a hearty and juicy roast vegetable sandwich with a smoky beetroot hummus and a nutty kale pesto? With the weather cooling down and long work days, I'm craving packable, quick, nutritious and wholesome lunches that will fill me up.
In a busy work week, I like to make sure I'm eaten all of the right stuff so I don't feel gluggy at the end of the week. However, I always find veggie sandwiches a rip off at cafes as they are so easy and cheap to make at home! Unlike cafes which skimp on the veggies, this sandwich is packed with 8 vegetables! This includes beetroot, zucchini, pumpkin, capsicum, avocado (fruit or vegetable?), carrot, sprouts and kale.
I used a mixed seed sourdough bread which was delicious fresh but even better toasted.
Check out my other easy vegan lunch ideas
- Baked tofu sandwich with caramelised onion and pesto
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and tomato tart with sourdough crust
- Easy tomato quiche
Rainbow roast vegetable sandwiches
- 1 cup butternut pumpkin, or ¼ of a large butternut pumpkin
- 1 red capsicum, quartered and seeded
- 1 zucchini
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 avocado
- 1 carrot
- ½ cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- ½ beetroot
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup kale leaves or other salad greens, loosely packed
- ½ cup roast almonds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread, or bread of choice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Slice the pumpkin and zucchini into 5mm thick slices. Quarter and deseed the red capsicum. Place vegetables on a lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocado as desired and coarsely grate the carrot. Set aside.
- For the beetroot hummus, add all ingredients to a food processor and whizz until smooth. Remove and set aside.
- For the kale pesto, add the kale, almonds and olive oil to a food processor and whizz until combined.
- Toast the bread and spread hummus on two slices and kale pesto on the other two slices. Arrange raw and roast vegetables on bread as desired. Enjoy immediately.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.