Epic vegan-friendly sandwich packed with roast vegetables, avocado and pesto.
Why have a salad sandwich when you can have a hearty and juicy roast vegetable sandwich with a smoky beetroot hummus and a nutty kale pesto? With the weather cooling down and long work days, I'm craving packable, quick, nutritious and wholesome lunches that will fill me up.
In a busy work week, I like to make sure I'm eaten all of the right stuff so I don't feel gluggy at the end of the week. However, I always find veggie sandwiches a rip off at cafes as they are so easy and cheap to make at home! Unlike cafes which skimp on the veggies, this sandwich is packed with 8 vegetables! This includes beetroot, zucchini, pumpkin, capsicum, avocado (fruit or vegetable?), carrot, sprouts and kale.
I used a mixed seed sourdough bread which was delicious fresh but even better toasted.
Check out my other easy vegan lunch ideas
Rainbow roast vegetable sandwiches
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- ½ beetroot
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup kale leaves or other salad greens, loosely packed
- ½ cup roast almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or water
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread, or bread of choice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Slice the pumpkin and zucchini into 5mm thick slices. Quarter and deseed the red capsicum. Place vegetables on a lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocado as desired and coarsely grate the carrot. Set aside.
- For the beetroot hummus, add all ingredients to a food processor and whizz until smooth. Remove and set aside.
- For the kale pesto, add the kale, almonds and olive oil to a food processor and whizz until combined.
- Toast the bread and spread hummus on two slices and kale pesto on the other two slices. Arrange raw and roast vegetables on bread as desired. Enjoy immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.