Healthy vegan sandwich with baked tofu, caramelised onion and pesto.
When I finished school, I stopped eating sandwiches as I was sooo over having overly processed bread and some meaty filling. However, it's been over a decade since I finished school and I realised that sandwiches don't have to be boring and taste like plastic. Now, my sandwiches often have fresh toasted bread, warm fillings and lots of texture. This sandwich was exactly that - a light and fluffy bread filled with marinated tofu, roasted capsicum, basil pesto and caramelised onions.
I love this combo as the savoury and saltiness of the tofu and pesto balances out with the sweetness of the onions and capsicum. You can add or subtract as many ingredients as you like! The sandwiches last until the next day and are even better for breakfast (haha, I ran out of cereal but these sandwiches were more than tempting).
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Check out my other easy vegan lunch ideas
Baked tofu sandwich with caramelised onions and pesto
- 200 g tofu
- 2 tbs dried herbs, e.g. oregano, thyme and basil
- 1 tbs olive oil, optional
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup store-bought basil pesto OR
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbs pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 4 slices bread of choice, gluten-free if needed
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Slice the tofu thinly so it can fit nicely in a sandwich (my tofu was about 8mm thick). Rub herbs and olive oil on all sides of tofu. Slice the capsicum in quarters. Bake tofu and capsicum on a lined tray for 15 minutes or until the tofu is golden brown and the capsicum has deepened in colour.
- For the onion, saute in a small fry pan with a dash of water for 5 minutes on high. When the onion has softened, add the balsamic vinegar and saute for 1 minute. Bring it down to medium-low heat and simmer/saute for 10 minutes until caramelised and very soft.
- If you're making your own pesto, toast the garlic and pine nuts in a small frypan on medium heat, continuously stirring so it doesn't burn. When the garlic and pine nuts are golden brown, add to a food processor with the basil and olive oil. Process until it forms a pesto or paste-like consistency.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the pesto, spinach leaves, tofu and capsicum and enjoy!
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.