I’m bored of carrot sticks and shredded carrots in my salads so I decided to spice things up and make raw carrot cake! It was delicious and will be great for anytime of the day! Dessert for breakfast? Why not!
Raw carrot cake
- 2 cups cashews or macadamias
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 T coconut oil, melted (optional)
- 2 T any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup, coconut nectar, rice malt syrup
- 1 cup carrots, finely shredded
- 1 cup dates, soaked in water for at least a couple of hours
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 to 1½ cups mixture of any nuts, seeds or coconut, cashews, walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp cardamom
- any good-quality salt, to taste
- Dash of vanilla essence or paste
- Dash of water
- The night before: Soak the cashews/macadamias (for the icing) and the dates (for the cake) in enough water to cover.
- Line a cake slice tin or similar container with baking paper.
- For the icing: Drain the cashews/macadamias. Put all icing ingredients into a food processor and whizz until very smooth. Add water to thin the mixture. It should be the consistency of typical cake icing. Remove icing and chill in fridge.
- For the cake: Drain the dates. Add the dates oats and coconut to your food processor and whizz until the dates form a paste and the oats are almost fine crumbs.
- Add the nuts and spices to the food processor. Whizz until desired consistency. Add salt and vanilla to taste.
- Press cake mixture into baking tin/container and spread icing over it.
- Set aside in fridge or enjoy immediately. Slice before serving.