My all time favourite recipe is this deep dish pizza quiche! It has a sweet potato crust filled with pizza tomato sauce, a 'ricotta' and kale filling, roasted Mediterranean veggies and a cheesy tahini sauce.
Deep Dish Pizza Quiche
A sweet potato crust filled with pizza tomato sauce, a 'ricotta' and kale filling, roasted Mediterranean veggies and a cheesy tahini sauce.
Sweet Potato Crust
Tomato pizza sauce
- 4 tomatoes, chopped, or ½ cup tomato paste or ½ cup tomato pizza sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- Oregano and other herbs, as desired
‘Ricotta’ and kale quiche filling
- 150 g extra firm tofu (see notes)
- 2 handfuls kale
- ¼ cup plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt, pepper and herbs, as desired
- ½-1 cup fresh vegetables as desired
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a round cake tin or pie dish with baking paper.
- In a food processor, whizz all crust ingredients until smooth and combined.
- Spread crust on bottom and lower sides of cake tin/pie dish. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until surface is dry to the touch.
- For the tomato pizza sauce: If you are making your own sauce, place all ingredients in a saucepan with a dash of water. Bring saucepan to boil then simmer until tomatoes have reduced to a sauce-like consistency. Set aside.
- For the ‘ricotta’ and kale quiche filling: In a food processor, whizz all ingredients until smooth and it forms a very thick paste. If it is not smooth enough, add more milk
- Slice vegetables thinly.
- To assemble pizza: Remove crust from oven. Spread tomato pizza sauce on base, then ‘ricotta’ filling, then vegetables.
- Bake pizza in oven for 45 minutes or until the crust starts to come away from the sides of the tin/pan and there is no more water leaking from the quiche.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by mixing all ingredients until smooth. Add more water for a thinner sauce. Set aside.
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with cheese sauce. Rest pizza for 10 minutes then serve!
Make sure you get extra firm tofu otherwise your quiche will not set and the excess water may leak into the crust and pan.