If a deep dish pizza had a baby with a quiche, they would make this beauty!
An amazing sweet potato crust filled with pizza tomato sauce, a ‘ricotta’ and kale filling, roasted Mediterranean veggies and a cheesy tahini sauce. It was a weird, unique and tasty creation.
Deep dish pizza quiche
A sweet potato crust filled with pizza tomato sauce, a 'ricotta' and kale filling, roasted Mediterranean veggies and a cheesy tahini sauce.
Sweet Potato Crust
- 1 large sweet potato, baked or boiled with skin on
- ½ cup flour, I used ground millet and chickpea flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbs chia seeds, finely ground
- ½ tsp baking powder
Tomato pizza sauce
- 4 tomatoes, chopped, or ½ cup tomato paste or ½ cup tomato pizza sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- Oregano and other herbs, as desired
‘Ricotta’ and kale quiche filling
- 150 g firm tofu
- 2 handfuls kale
- ¼ cup plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- any good-quality salt, pepper and herbs as desired
Vegetables as desired
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a round cake tin or pie dish with baking paper.
- In a food processor, whizz all crust ingredients until smooth and combined.
- Spread crust on bottom and lower sides of cake tin/pie dish. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- For the tomato pizza sauce: If you are making your own sauce, place all ingredients in a saucepan with a dash of water. Bring saucepan to boil then simmer until tomatoes have reduced to a sauce-like consistency. Set aside.
- For the ‘ricotta’ and kale quiche filling: In a food processor, whizz all ingredients until smooth and it forms a paste-like consistency. If it is not smooth enough, add more milk
- Prepare vegetables.
- To assemble pizza: Remove crust from oven. Spread tomato pizza sauce on base, then ‘ricotta’ filling, then vegetables.
- Bake pizza in oven for 45 minutes or until the crust starts to come away from the sides of the tin/pan.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce by mixing all ingredients until smooth. Add more water for a thinner sauce. Set aside.
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with cheese sauce.