Roasted maple BBQ cauliflower bites in sweet potato wraps with a herby butter bean spread and loads of fresh vegetables. The wraps are wholesome finger-licking goodness!
This post is sponsored by BFree Foods
You take your first bite into these wraps and you taste:
- wonderfully soft and savoury sweet potato wraps,
- a heavenly layer of butter bean puree,
- the crunch of fresh vegetables and a
- WOW from the saucy roasted cauliflower.
Now let’s break down each layer!
Vegan and gluten-free wraps
I’ve tasted a fair few gluten-free items in my life – cereal, bread, pasta, noodles, cake, cookies… and let me say – it’s a huge hit and miss.
When I developed recipes for my cookbook, I realised I couldn’t easily substitute a regular wheat flour with gluten-free flour. Some gluten-free flour boast a million nutrition benefits (quinoa flour, I’m looking at you), it might taste horrible with certain ingredients!
When you bake without gluten, you need to include some type of starch – not too little otherwise it’ll be too crumbly and not too much otherwise it’d be chewy! And making something gluten free AND vegan is a whole other story.
Basically, I respect anyone who can pull off tasty gluten-free food… because it’s so hard to nail!
I first came across BFree’s wraps a few years ago when I had to cater for guests at my food workshops. They were perfect as I could wrap them up in advance (without getting soggy), they didn’t break easily and they were TASTY.
My non-gluten free guests said they couldn’t tell they were gluten-free! As the host, this was great news :).
For this recipe, you don’t need to do anything special to the wraps. Just make your butter bean puree and spread it on… thickly!
Vegan BBQ Maple Cauliflower Bites
These cauliflower bites are reminiscent of honey chicken wings or bbq pork ribs I indulged in as a child. The sauce is sweet, a little tangy and has the wonderful flavour profile of bbq sauce!
Note, I realise Australia is one of the only few countries which spells bbq out as ‘barbeque’ rather than ‘barbecue’
All you have to do is:
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Prepare the batter and dip the florets in. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the maple bbq glaze. Dip the battered cauliflower in the glaze. Bake for another 10 minutes
Then you’re one step closer to bliss!
Assembling the wraps
I always love packing my wraps with lots of fresh vegetables to complement the main filling.
Since the cauliflower is pretty strong in flavour, I preferred subtle and fresh vegetables such as salad leaves, cucumber and capsicum. Vegetables such as zucchini, spinach, lettuce and tomatoes would work too!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Maple BBQ Cauliflower Wraps
Maple BBQ Cauliflower
Butter Bean Spread
- ~1 1/2 cup (400g) butter beans
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice
- Handful of fresh or dried herbs of choice, such as oregano, rosemary
- 5 BFree Sweet Potato Wraps (1 packet)
- 1 medium-size red capsicum, deseeded and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 cup salad leaves
To make the cauliflower:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 1 tray with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, water and spices and mix until smooth. Dip each cauliflower floret in the batter making sure all sides are covered but shaking off the excess. Place the battered cauliflower on the baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until the florets are tender.
- In another medium bowl, combine the barbeque sauce and maple syrup and mix until combined. Toss the battered cauliflower in the sauce and return them to the baking tray. Bake the cauliflower for another 10 minutes or until golden.
To make the butter bean spread
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.
To assemble the wraps
- Place a wrap on a clean surface. Spread one side of the wrap with the butter bean spread. Place the cauliflower and vegetables on the spread and collect the sides to form a wrap. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container until you're ready to eat.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.