These vegan Golden Gaytime ice cream blocks are an adaptation of the classic Australian ice cream.
This vegan Gaytime is AMAZING. For those who don't live in Australia, a Gaytime is a toffee and vanilla-flavoured icecream dipped in a choc coating and covered in biscuit pieces. It’s one of the more popular icecreams in Australia and can be bought from the majority of corner stores or service stations. Not many desserts can compete with the Gaytime
The creaminess of the icecream complements the crunchy biscuit pieces. The deep yet fun caramel flavour of the icecream brings out the richness of the biscuit pieces and contrasts with the chocolate. When all of these components are combined, it is an explosion in your mouth!I imitated all of these delicious elements of the traditional Gaytime and added some real nuts, coconut and banana for depth. I couldn’t believe how well it turned out!
Raw Gaytime icecream
- ½ cup canned coconut cream
- ½ cup mashed banana
- ½ cup cashews or macadamias
- ¼ cup coconut butter or oil
- 1 tbs cocoa or raw cacao powder
- 1 tbs any liquid sweetener, such as maple syrup or coconut nectar, optional
- Soak the cashews in the coconut cream for at least 2 hours
- For the ice cream, place the cashews, coconut cream and mashed banana in a food processor and whizz until combined and creamy. Set aside in a bowl.
- For the caramel sauce, put the dates and almond butter in the food processor and whizz until combined.
- Gently swirl the ice cream and caramel sauce together. Pour the mixture into the ice block moulds. Put moulds in freezer overnight or until set.
- For the cookies, mix all the ingredients together until crumbly. Have as it is (raw) or bake in oven at 180C for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the chocolate coating, mix all the ingredients until combined. If the coconut butter or oil is solid, pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds to melt it then mix the ingredients. Set aside.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and run warm water over the moulds to loosen the ice cream from the moulds.
- Quickly dip each ice cream into the chocolate sauce and the cookies. The chocolate sauce will set almost immediately so make sure you do this quickly!
- Enjoy immediately or return to the freezer!