Ever since I’ve been working from home, my eating schedule has gone out the door. I always eat a decent breakfast but lunch is mixed with dinner, brunch, dessert and everything else that you can think of. Smoothie bowl for dinner? Sure!
When I worked in an office, I was in a simple-enough routine where I’d make a large salad each week and portion it up for lunches and dinner. Convenience and laziness trumped the potential bore of repetitive meals. In attempt to kickstart a similar routine, I made this wintery beetroot lentil salad.
I used these veggies for this salad, simply because I was doing a fridge clean out. Feel free to add or take away any ingredients as you wish. Other days, I would add mushrooms, spinach and maybe cabbage!
This salad is hearty, packed with real wholefoods and is perfect for winter because you can eat it warm! I’ve seen lots of other beet lentil salads but this one is special because it is vegan and satiating enough in itself without unnecessary dairy or meat added to it. It’s simply a bunch of vegetables and legumes baked in the oven or boiled and chucked into a bowl with a dressing. Too easy 🙂
Wintery beetroot and lentil salad
- ½ cup dried puy lentils or 1-2 cans of brown lentils
- 1 large beetroot
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 corn on the cob
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 kale leaves or other salad greens, leaves only
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- ¼ cup pecans
- If you are using dried lentils, rinse them, bring them to a boil in a saucepan of water and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. If you are using canned lentils, simply drain your lentils.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Chop the beetroot and broccoli into chunks and spread over lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil of choice and bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender
- Put the corn in a saucepan of boiling water then bring the water down to a simmer for 10 minutes or until corn is cooked. When the corn has cooled, cut kernels off the cob and add to a large salad bowl.
- Peel and grate your carrots and add to a large salad bowl. Chop the kale leaves and add to a colander.
- Make the dressing by mixing the tahini and orange zest and juice in a bowl. Add some water to thin out.
- When your lentils have cooked, pour them over the kale in the colander and rinse. Pouring hot water over the kale will allow it to soften. Add both to the salad bowl.
- Remove the beetroot and broccoli from the oven and add to the salad bowl.
- Drizzle salad dressing and pecans over salad and mix through. Enjoy immediately or keep in the fridge for serving later.