Unique deep dish pizza with a beetroot hummus filling and falafel base. Healthy and low fat.
Pizza and falafel are some of my favorite take away foods. I'm even a teeny weeny tempted to go out right now (it's 10am) and get some pizza/falafel as a quick fix. However, I'm recovering from a cold and need to go back to basics, fuel my body with regular and wholesome food that actually has decent nutrition.
The falafel crust is bulked up with millet as I don't think I could eat 2-3 servings of falafel in a sitting. The beetroot hummus is so creamy and pretty (so it's good for the vibrant part of my soul, right?). It's lightened up with some sliced zucchini (feel free to add whatever veggies you like) and the cheesy tahini sauce is just the icing on the cake.
Actually, when I look at the pizza again, it looks tad like a rainbow doesn't it?
But I'm not complaining here! Falafel. Pizza. Rainbows. Enjoy!
Other unusual vegan dinner recipes:
Deep dish falafel pizza
- ¾ cup chickpeas, either canned or pre-soaked dry
- ⅓ cup gf flour (I used millet)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup fresh cilantro / coriander
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp chia or flax seeds, finely ground
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
Beetroot hummus layer
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 small beetroot, boiled
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- oregano, basil and other herbs as desired
Sliced vegetables as desired
Tahini Cheese sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- As much nutritional yeast as you desire!
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a cake tin or deep pie dish with baking paper.
- For the crust: Put all crust ingredients in a food processor and whizz until all ingredients have combined. Spread mixture in a cake tin to form a 'pie crust'. Bake for 10 minutes to half-cook.
- Meanwhile, for the beetroot hummus: In a food processor, process all ingredients until smooth.
- When the falafel crust is dry to the touch, remove from oven.
- Layer the beetroot hummus with sliced vegetables in the pizza crust. Return the pizza to the oven for about 30 minutes or until vegetables have cooked.
- Meanwhile, for the cheese sauce: Mix ingredients together adding water until desired consistency. Drizzle on pizza and enjoy!
This looks fantastic! What size cake pan should I use?
Hi Kim, I used an 8-inch (20 cm) cake pan for this one.
William Keran says
This looks absolutey delicious! I was wondering if you had the nutrition facts for this recipe?
Unfortunately, I don't have the nutrition facts for this recipe. However, it will be easy to work out if you use an online app!
Wow! So delicious! congratulations for the site. Your recipes are great and very original
Do you think this could be made ahead and frozen?
I think hummus separates when it's frozen. You could make the different components of the 'pizza', freeze it, assemble it then heat it up.
Lovely! Fantastic site.
Saving and Sharing knowing I will give as much pleasure as I gam getting.
Could you make this a hour ahead of time then put I️t in the fridge after the first ten minute bake or would you not recommend this?
Hi Daisy, yes you can make it an hour ahead of time. I'd recommend that you let the crust come to room temperature before you bake it 🙂
Delicious. From vegetarian to vegan. Epiphany! Amazing. Thank you so much.
My pleasure Lorna! xoxo
Hi! Do you think this would work with all purpose or whole wheat flour? And also, what size pan did you use? I'm so looking forward to making this!
Hey! I've never tried it with all purpose/wheat flour, but I don't see why it wouldn't work :). I used a 20cm pan for this! I hope this helps.
Thank you so much! I can't wait to make this!
My pleasure! Let me know how you go xo