Crispy filo rolls packed with vegan tofu ricotta and kale.
Crispy, moreish and wholesome scrolls! I love this filling as it reminds me of ricotta and spinach cannelloni that I had when I was younger. I mimicked the texture and taste using firm tofu, kale, tahini, nutritional yeast, herbs and spices! It's packed with protein and doesn't taste healthy (I often eat the filling by itself). Paired with crispy filo pastry, you can't go wrong!
The scrolls are really easy to make. I've been super busy finalising my manuscript for my cookbook so whipped this up to sustain myself through the week. With a busy life, I don't want to spend extra time in the kitchen!
See my other vegan lunch and dinner ideas
- Moroccan Chickpea Hand Pies
- One-pot Easy Miso Ramen
- Vegan Mac and Cheese Shepherd's Pie
- Tofu rainbow rice paper rolls
Vegan ricotta and kale filo scrolls
- 18 sheets of filo pastry
- 1 medium-size onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ~2 ½ cups (400g) firm tofu, roughly crumbled
- ~3 packed cups (140g) kale leaves, firmly packed
- ¾ cup (120g) dairy free milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- ¼ cup (65g) tahini
- ½ cup (30g) nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Dash of smoked paprika
- ½ tsp any good-quality salt
- ½ cup (125g) vegetable oil, such as olive, sunflower or rapeseed
- Defrost or let the filo pastry come to room temperature, according to packet instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Finely dice the onion and garlic. Saute in a small saucepan with a dash of oil over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Place the tofu, kale, milk, tahini, nutritional yeast and seasonings in a food processor. Process until the mixture is a crumbly paste. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor. Add the onion and garlic and process until combined.
- Place 3 sheets of filo pastry on a flat surface. Use a pastry brush to roughly brush olive oil between the layers. Don't worry if the pastry breaks.
- Spread around ½-3/4 cup of the kale filling into a long sausage shape on the long side of the filo pastry. Roll the pastry enclosing the filling inside. When you have formed a long tube, grab one end and roll the tube into a scroll. Place the scroll in a baking tray and repeat.
- When you have used up all of the pastry and filling, bake the scrolls in the oven for 20 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Let the scrolls cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy immediately with flaked salt, hummus or tahini.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help other readers and Rainbow Nourishments.