Vegan Sticky Cinnamon Buns (with maple glaze)
Buttery and soft vegan cinnamon rolls with an irresistable sticky maple glaze. Uses common ingredients and features step-by-step pictures.
Servings: 12 rolls
- 3 ¼ cups (405g) plain or all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup (250g) plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut, warm
- ½ cup (115g) vegan butter or margarine, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (40g) cane sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9g) instant dried yeast*
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of any good-quality salt, if you're not using salted butter
- 2 tablespoons (30g) vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup (50g) brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (85g) maple syrup, or any other liquid sweetener
- ¼ cup (50g) cane sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15g) vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon (15g) coconut cream, optional for a thicker glaze
To make the buns:
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer and mix until it comes together. Knead the mixture until it forms a smooth and stretchy dough. Add a little more milk if the dough is too dry or a little more flour if the dough sticks to the bowl.
Remove the dough from the dough hook and cover the bowl with a damp tea towel. Set it aside in a warm spot for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size. If it doesn't double, place the dough in a WARMER spot until it does.
To assemble the vegan sticky buns:
Scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a large rectangular shape.**
Use a pastry brush to spread the melted butter or margarine on the dough, making sure it reaches all edges. Liberally sprinkle the cinnamon sugar and rub it into the surface with your fingertips.
Starting from the long side, tightly roll the dough into a large tube. Use a sharp knife to cut buns out of the dough.
Arrange the rolls on a greased baking tray, leaving a little space in between each bun. Place a damp tea towel over the buns and set aside to rise.
Baking the vegan sticky buns:
When you're ready to bake the buns, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
When the oven is hot, bake the buns for 15-20 minutes. The rolls are ready when they are slightly golden brown or when you insert a skewer in one of the middle buns and it doesn't have wet dough on it. Set aside to cool.
To make the glaze: Whisk all the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until combined. Generously drizzle the glaze onto the buns.
The buns are best eaten the day they are baked. Alternatively, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the fridge for 3-4 days. Warm up the buns before you enjoy them.
* Instant yeast doesn't need to be 'activated' or 'bloomed' beforehand. However, if you use active dry yeast, you'll need to use 1 ⅓ tbsp and combine it with warm milk and a pinch of sugar beforehand. Wait until it bubbles then use it in the recipe. If you use another type of yeast, you may need a different quantity.
** If your dough is too soft to be rolled, chill it in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.