Vegan Mango Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Golden and moist tropical vegan mango cake, perfect for Summer and using leftover mangos. It takes one bowl to make and is a crowd-pleaser!
Servings: 12 people
Wet cake ingredients
- ~1 ½ cups (360g) mango puree (1), approx 3-4 medium-size mango
- ⅔ cup (165g) plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut,
- ⅔ cup (150g) melted vegan butter (2)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ~¾ cup (75g) finely chopped mango, approx ¾ medium-size mango
To decorate (optional)
- ½ cup (120g) vegan cream cheese, chilled
- ½ cup (115g) vegan butter, chilled
- 1 cup (100g) icing sugar (3)
- ~1 cup (100g) mango, sliced (approx 1 medium-size mango)
- Few spoons of berry jam
- Coconut flakes
To make the cake:
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line or grease a 20cm (8-inch) round cake tin (4).
Add all the dry ingredients to a medium-size mixing bowl and mix until there are no lumps. Add all the wet ingredients to the bowl (except the chopped mango) and mix until just combined. Fold the chopped mango into the batter.
Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes. If the cake is browning too quickly on top and the middle is uncooked, cover the cake with an aluminium foil or an oven-safe plate. The cake is ready when a skewer can be inserted in the middle and it comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the cake tin for 5 minutes then cool on a wire rack.
To decorate (optional):
Add the vegan cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar to a bowl. Cream until combined and smooth.
Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake. Decorate with mango, jam and coconut if desired. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- I used very ripe fresh mango for the puree. To make the puree, blend the mango and milk to a blender and blend. Use in the recipe as needed.
- Or substitute with a light-tasting oil such as sunflower. However, the butter version tastes better!
- Cream cheese frosting is always quite soft. Add more icing sugar for a firmer frosting.
- For quicker baking, bake the cake in two 20 cm (8 inch) cake tins for about 25 minutes and spread some frosting in between the cakes. The cake can also be made into muffins.