Veggie Pita Pizza with caramelised onions and pesto
Veggie Pita Pizza topped with lots of vegetables, sweet caramelised onions and a pesto even more vegetables. Vegan, quick, easy and gluten-free option!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- Dash of olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut sugar, or any other granulated sugar
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Sneaky Pesto (or use store-bought)
- ¼ cup pine nuts, roasted or sauteed
- 3 cloves garlic, raw or sauteed
- 1 cup baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Generous pinch of any good-quality salt
Pita Pizzas (note 1)
- 6 small pita pockets
- 3 tbsp tomato pizza sauce
- 1 small capsicum, core removed and diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced thinly
- ½ cup zuchinni, sliced thinly
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup vegan cheese, chopped or shredded
To assemble your pita pizzas
Place the pita pockets on a lined baking tray. Spread the pizza sauce on each pita leaving a 1cm edge. Scatter the capsicum, mushrooms, tomatoes, vegan cheese and caramelised onions on top.
Bake the pita pockets in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
Dollop the pesto on the baked pita pizzas. Enjoy immediately!
- You can use other vegetables such as eggplant, sun dried tomatoes, or other vegetables you already have! Just make sure you slice the veggies thinly so they cook at the same rate as your pita bases.