Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
The most pillowy and buttery vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls you'll ever eat! Loaded with pumpkin spice, pecans and topped with a cream cheese frosting.
Servings: 12 scrolls
- 3 ¼ cups (406g) plain or all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ¾ cup (150g) pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup (85mL) dairy free milk, such as almond, soy or coconut, warm
- ½ cup (115g) vegan butter
- 3 tbsp (40g) cane sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp (9g) instant dried yeast, (note 1)
- 1 tbsp (8g) pumpkin spice, or ½ tbsp cinnamon, ¼ tbsp nutmeg and ¼ tbsp ginger powder
- Pinch of any good-quality salt, skip if using salted vegan butter
- ½ cup (95-100g) dark brown sugar, or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (55g) vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (16g) pumpkin spice, or 1 tbsp cinnamon, ½ tbsp nutmeg and ½ tbsp ginger powder
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped (optional)
Frosting (optional) (note 2)
Add all the ingredients in a stand mixer or large bowl. Mix then knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave it in a warm place for at least 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size. The dough can be rested in the fridge overnight!
Lightly dust a clean surface with flour. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a large rectangle so the dough is about 5mm-1cm thick.
Spread the filling on the surface 2 cm (1 inch) away from the edge. Sprinkle the pecans on top.
Starting from the long side, roll the dough into a log. Use a sharp knife or unflavoured dental floss to cut rolls out of the log. Arrange on a baking tray. Place a damp tea towel over the rolls and set aside to rest.
Baking the gingerbread rolls:
When your rolls have increased by at least 50%, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
Bake the rolls in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until they are slightly golden brown. If you insert a skewer in one of the middle rolls, there should be no raw dough on it.
When the rolls have cooled completely, spread the glaze on top.
The rolls are best eaten the day they are baked. Alternatively, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day or in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Instant yeast doesn't need to be 'activated' or 'bloomed' beforehand. However, if you use another type of yeast, combine it with warm milk and a pinch of sugar beforehand. Wait until it bubbles then use it in the recipe.
- Alternatively, I'd recommend vegan maple cream cheese frosting for these rolls!