Can you believe that Christmas is around the corner?! Although I’m busy working on my cookbook, I couldn’t resist dreaming of treats to make for the holidays. I adore gingerbread so am spending my free time scrolling through Pinterest looking for cute gingerbread men.
This caramel tart has no dates, is vegan (free from dairy, eggs and honey), can be made gluten-free and refined sugar free. It’s super easy and quick to make and you don’t need a high-powered blender for it!
My partner loooves caramel but isn’t really fond of date caramel so I *had* to do something about that. I made this caramel using a few classic ingredients that most people would already have in their pantry.
The tart has a touch of the festive season with a chewy gingerbread oat crust! Feel free to omit the gingerbread spices and enjoy the tart for any other occasion. Alternatively, if you prefer more of a classic shortbread crust, use the pastry recipe from my vegan jam tartlets recipe.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below and rate it as it would really help us and other readers! If you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments.
Vegan caramel tart with an oat gingerbread crust
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour or flour of choice
- 2 tablespoons coconut or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (65mL) light-tasting vegetable oil, such as sunflower or rapeseed
- 2 tablespoons any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (80g) coconut or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60mL) canned coconut cream*
- 1/4 cup (65g) refined solid coconut oil or vegetable shortening (do not substitute for a liquid vegetable oil otherwise your caramel will not set)
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter, optional
- 1 cup (240mL) coconut cream**, chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Maple syrup, to drizzle
- To decorate: Add the coconut cream and powdered sugar to a stand mixer or mixing bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Remove the tart from the case and dollop cream on top. Drizzle with maple syrup and decorate with gingerbread men as desired.
** I personally haven't had any luck with whipping canned coconut cream so I used a UHT coconut cream