I haven’t had sandwiches in years but I’m glad I’ve rediscovered how fun and wholesome they can be. These sandwiches are packed with protein, healthy fats and have no refined sugar. They are sort of like a fancy bangers and mash (it’s an Aussie dish, do you know it?) as the avocado replaces the sausages, the mash is the white bean mash and the onions are caramelised with coconut balsamic vinegar.
In terms of nutrition, these sandwiches aren’t lacking any protein either as the white beans are packed with protein!
I packed these sandwiches with veggies including fresh spinach, radish and tomato. Feel free to use whatever veg you’d like!
The star ingredients of the sandwiches is the caramelised onion. I caramelised it with Niulife’s coconut balsamic vinegar which gave the onions a natural sweetness and tartness. These flavours brought the sandwiches to life!
I had these sandwiches for lunch, dinner and brought them out to a picnic. They were perfect for every occasion. What do you like putting on your sandwiches?
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
This post was sponsored by Niulife Coconut. However, as always, all opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that allow Rainbow Nourishments to be sustainable.
Ultimate veggie and caramelised onion sandwich
- 1 medium-sized red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons Niulife Coconut Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 can butter beans
- 8 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 medium-sized tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced or mashed
- Large handful of fresh spinach
- 4-6 radishes, thinly sliced
- Add the sliced onion to a small saucepan over high heat. Saute for about 5 minutes then add the Balsamic Vinegar. Reduce the heat to medium-low and saute for about 10-15 minutes until the onions are soft and caramelised.
- Meanwhile, drain the can of butter beans and mash with a fork or whizz stick.
- Prepare other vegetables as desired
- Assemble your sandwiches with all of the ingredients.
- Enjoy immediately or keep in an airtight container with a damp cloth until ready to eat.