Summery rice paper rolls filled with baked tofu, a homemade hoisin sauce and fresh vegetables of the rainbow! Inspired by Chinese peking duck pancakes, these rolls are light, have a sweet but wholesome sauce and a touch of zesty spring onion.
I’m seriously craving savoury foods so expect my next few posts to focus on this! if you have any requests, leave a comment below.
Once you master the (easy) art of rolling rice paper rolls, these are a breeze to make. My tip is to use wet hands to avoid the paper sticking to your fingers. Feel free to experiment with whatever fillings you like!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below and rate it as it would really help us and other readers! If you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments.
Tofu rainbow rice paper rolls (vegan)
- 250 g firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- Dash of sesame oil
- Dash of any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup, such as maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- Dash of brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 6-8 rice paper wrappers
- 1 medium-size cucumber
- 1 medium-size capsicum
- 1 medium-size carrot
- 1 medium-size avocado
- Handful of kale, sprouts or salad leaves
- 2 spring onions
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Slice the tofu into batons. Combine the seasonings except the tahini in a shallow bowl and mix. Let the tofu soak in the marinade and set aside.
- Slice all of the vegetables into similar size batons and set aside.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and place on a lined baking tray. Reserving the marinade for later. Bake the tofu in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Add the tahini to the remaining marinade and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- To assemble: Fill a shallow bowl with warm-hot water. Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water, lay it on a flat surface and place the fillings in the middle. Gently wrap the wet rice paper to enclose the filling. Repeat for the remaining ingredients.
- Serve the rolls immediately with the tahini hoisin sauce.