No bake vegan caramel slice with an addictive hazelnut base. I also included an ice cream version!
Ok, let's be honest here – I've never really liked caramel slices but it's one of Dan's favourite treats from old-school bakeries. However, I was determined to veganise it AND transform it into something special and unique that I would actually like...
I created 2 versions of the slice – one with a simple caramel filling and a hazelnut base... and the other with the same base but a nicecream caramel filling. AND MAN, I CONVERTED. Dan liked the one with the simple caramel filling, as expected. But with my nicecream obsession, I loooovvedd the nicecream version. I could probably eat a bowl full of that frozen caramelly goodness. Both versions of the slice had an amazing hazelnut base which takes this recipe to the next level – just imagine crunchy nutella biscuits with a caramel and chocolate topping.
Did I mention that it's alllll natural?
Ok, now I have a crazy desire to 'nicecream-ise' all of my favourite desserts/sweets. But to start off, here we go:
Raw Caramel and Hazelnut Slice, with an ice cream twist!
- 125 g hazelnuts
- 40 g any light-coloured sweetener, such as rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 30 g coconut butter or oil, softened
- 25 g rolled oats
- 25 g buckwheat
- Pinch any good quality salt, to taste
Normal caramel filling
- 200 g pitted dates, soaked in water for at least 2 hours if they are hard
- 120 g tahini or nut butter
- 50 g coconut butter or oil, softened
Caramel ice cream filling
- 170 g frozen banana, in chunks
- 100 g pitted dates, soaked in water for at least 2 hours if they are hard
- 60 g tahini or nut butter
- 25 g coconut butter or oil, softened
- Line a container or loaf tin with baking paper.
- For the base: In a food processor, process all of the base ingredients until very combined. If needed, add a dash of warm water to help the ingredients combine. Press mixture into bottom of tin.
- For the normal caramel filling: In a food processor, process all ingredients until very smooth. Spread caramel on the base.
- For the caramel ice cream filling: In a food processor, process all ingredients until very smooth. You may need to stop the food processor a few times and scrape down the sides. Spread caramel ice cream on the base.
- For the chocolate topping: Melt coconut butter/oil in microwave or on the stove. Quickly stir in cacao and rice malt syrup. Pour topping over caramel layer.
- Put the slice in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until firmed up. Cut into slices and eat immediately.