Crunchy gingerbread granola using less then 10 common pantry staples. Refined sugar free, vegan, gluten-free option and can be customized.
Unlike other recipes, this gingerbread granola is sweetened with dates. This makes the recipe healthier, packed with fibre and 100% wholefood plant-based. I've gifted the granola to guests and they would never guess it's healthy!
Ingredients for this gingerbread granola
I made sure the ingredients are common, accessible in many countries and can be easily substituted with other ingredients. You will need:
- Rolled oats or any other type of grain
- Dried dates, medjool dates or a liquid sweetener
- Shredded or flaked coconut
- Pecans or any other nuts
- Spices (ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg)
Optional add ins include:
- Dried festive fruit such as cranberries, cherries or raspberries
How to customize the gingerbread granola
Granola is probably the most recipe out in existence! You can customize this granola to suit your tastes, dietary preferences or allergies, such as:
- Making it sweeter by adding more dates or liquid sweetener.
- Making it grain-free by substituting oats for buckwheat.
- Remove the nuts and by substituting them with sunflower seeds, seeds or anything crunchy you have in your pantry.
- Use a liquid sweetener such as maple syrup instead of dates. to make a crunchier granola with an earthy undertone.
- Make it spicy by adding more ground ginger.
- Use other nuts such as walnuts, cashews or almonds instead of pecans.
How can you serve this gingerbread granola?
My favorite way to enjoy granola is as the main component of breakfast with milk or yoghurt and fruit. Just treat it like a more dense cereal! Or you can sprinkle it on a warm bowl of oats or smoothies.
You can have it as part of a healthy dessert if you sprinkle it on some stewed fruit as well!
Even though it's gingerbread flavored, I honestly love having this at ANY time of the year.
A great eco and edible Christmas gift
Alternatively, place the granola in a pretty jar and gift it to family or friends for Christmas. My 'mother-in-law' often requests granola as a Christmas present :). Granola is a great gift because it's:
Also, how many times have you received a Christmas present and donated it to charity within a few months?! During the festive season, I often think of ways I minimize waste yet provide MEANINGFUL gifts. That's why I love gifting granola!
If I want to be more zero-waste, I get the ingredients for my granola at local bulk-food stores. It's much more environmentally friendly than those pesky candles and plastic-covered chocolates you get at Christmas.
Check out my other vegan Christmas recipes:
- Vegan Gingerbread Cake
- Vegan Gingerbread Cinnamon Scrolls
- Healthy Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- Gingerbread vegan caramel tart
- Vegan Gingerbread Donuts
- ½ cup cranberries
- ½ cup pistachios
- 2 hours beforehand: If your dates are dry, soak them in enough water to cover and set aside. If you forget to do this, add the dates and water to a small saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes then use in the recipe.
- Preheat an oven to 170°C (340°F). Line 1 baking tray with baking paper.
- Add the dates to a food processor or blender reserving its soaking water. Blitz until the dates form a smooth paste. If the dates are still chunky, add some of the soaking water and blitz again.
- Add the date paste and all the granola ingredients to a large bowl. Mix until the date paste and spices are thoroughly combined.
- Spread the raw granola on the lined baking tray. Bake for around 20 minutes or until the granola turns golden brown. 10-15 minutes into baking, stir the granola to prevent the sides from burning. Keep an eye on the granola towards the end of the baking to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Remove the granola from the oven. Mix in the pistachios and dried fruit and allow the granola to cool on the tray.
- Transfer the granola to an airtight jar or container. Store at room temperature for 2 weeks or in the fridge for up to 1 month.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.