This is the perfect breakfast to have during the festive season to get your spirits up! Quick and easy overnight oats, with aromatic gingerbread spices and a sweet nutty crumble. It is refined sugar free, so it’s healthy…. right?!?! Haha.
When I celebrated Christmas as a child, my family and I rarely ate gingerbread, cherries, turkey or anything remotely Christmassy. Christmas was often just filled with ice cream and whatever weird Asian mushrooms we could find…
Now, I’m trying to make up for my deprived childhood (joke) by having as many gingerbread flavoured things as possible. Check out my gingerbread icecream sandwiches or my gingerbread lamington donuts or my gingerbread granola recipe. There’s something so comforting about cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
I sometimes struggle to get out of bed, so I thought it’d be a good incentive if I combine gingerbread with my breakfast… so I decided to make gingerbread overnight oats! I topped it with a sticky and crunchy crumble to add some texture to the breakfast.
I used coconut nectar and dried cranberries as a natural way to sweeten the oats and crumble. Coconut nectar is seriously my favourite sweetener as it has an amazing deep caramel flavour unlike any other sweetener.
I love using Niulife coconut syrup for my oats as it has an earthy caramel taste and really brings out the taste of the oats. Niulife is based near me (in Canberra) but distribute products to all around Australia. I love supporting them as they are a fair trade company, provide organic products and are a social enterprise. Over the next few weeks and months, I’ve partnered with Niulife to bring you a few delicious coconutty recipes.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
This post was sponsored by Niulife. However, as always, all opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that allow Rainbow Nourishments to be sustainable.
Gingerbread coconut overnight oats
- 3/4 cup oats
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cup plant-based milk, such as almond, soy or coconut
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 2 tablespoons Niulife coconut syrup, or to taste
- The night beforehand, add all oats ingredients to a large jar or container and shake. Set aside in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, add all ingredients for the sticky crumble to a small saucepan. Turn stove top to low-medium heat and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and very sticky.
- Remove the oats from the fridge and mix to ensure there are no clumps. Separate the oats into two bowls or jars. Top of the sticky crumble and additional coconut nectar if desired. Enjoy!