With a super busy work schedule, homemade pizza is definitely my go-to comfort food! I’ve been craving savoury food a lot recently, probably because I’m over the amount of sweet stuff I have to make for my cake business! Rather than binging on grease-laden takeaway food (which is oh so tempting), I decided to make my own versions of my favourite fast foods.
Things that I love most about pizza: a wholesome crust, a range of tasty toppings and some type of cheesy or hummus sauce.
When I’m busy, I tend to devour carbs like there is no tomorrow. My body craves carbs and energy so I’m giving it what it needs! Admittedly, it can be difficult to maintain a good daily intake of vegetables. So, I needed to find a way to seamlessly combine my vegetables with my carbs… such as making veggie-filled pizza bases!
I don’t want to provide you with an overwhelming amount of recipes for different vegetable pizza bases and it’s a waste of time to google different recipes. I’ve done the hard work (cos someone’s got to) and created a versatile gluten free vegetable pizza base, where you can simply substitute one vegetable for another!
My main vegetables were cauliflower, pumpkin, beetroot and potato. I don’t have much time to do shopping outside of my cake business, so I’ve been loving getting my organic produce from my local Aussie Farmers Direct. Everytime I get produce from them, it is super fresh and bursting with flavour. This week, I got their Organic Couples Box, which came free of delivery (yay, small wins). It was a ‘couples’ box, but I happily ate everything myself, haha. Self-care right?!
Feel free to experiment with other vegetables using the recipe below! I’m sure things like broccoli, spinach and capsicum would work!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
This post was sponsored by Aussie Farmers Direct. However, as always, all opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that allow Rainbow Nourishments to be sustainable.
Easy versatile vegan pizza base
- Vegetable of choice , e.g. 2 cups chopped cauliflower or 1 medium chopped beetroot or 1 ½ cups chopped pumpkin or 1 ½ cups chopped potato
- ¾ cups gluten-free flour, e.g. mixture of brown rice flour and chickpea flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs chia or flax seeds, finely ground
- 1 tbs tahini
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Herbs and spices as desired, e.g. salt, oregano, basil, garlic or onion
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Boil 3 cups water in a small saucepan over high heat. Add vegetable of choice, cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender then drain.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor then process until well combined. The mixture should be like a wet paste.
- Spread paste in two flat circles on a lined baking tray. The pizza bases should be about ½ cm thick.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until the sides have dried up a little. Flip bases over and remove from oven. Assemble toppings on pizza then bake in oven for another 10 minutes or until toppings are cooked. Enjoy!