Rather than having my favourite coffee/tea with my breakfast, I thought, why don’t I cut down on time and just combine the two?!?! GENIUS! Here’s a comforting and satisfying recipe for chai-infused granola… perfect for breakfast or as a snack at any time of the day!
- 1 cup raw buckwheat
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup mixture of any nuts, seeds or coconut, I used equal amounts of coconut shreds, sunflower seeds, LSA, almonds and cashews
- 3 tsp chai spice mix, see notes for recipe
- Pinch of vanilla bean seeds or dash of vanilla paste or extract
- Pinch any good-quality salt, optional
- 2-5 tbs combination of liquid sweetener and/or oil, as desired (the sweetener is for taste and a little crunch, while the oil is for extra crunch and sustenance)
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- 3 figs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and spices (except the dried fruit) and mix.
- Drizzle the liquid sweetener and/or melted oil on the granola and mix thoroughly.
- Taste test and adjust accordingly! Spread granola evenly on baking tray.
- Put in oven and bake for 15 to 25 minutes. Check after 10 minutes and gently mix the granola if it’s not cooking evenly. Don’t burn yourself! If you want granola clusters, avoid mixing the granola.
- When the granola turns golden brown, remove the tray from the oven.
- Cool for 10 minutes and add dried fruit. Taste the granola again – it’s always so comforting eating something fresh out of the oven!
- When the granola has completely cooled, store in a jar or container in the fridge or cool dry place.
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tbs ginger, ground
1/8 tsp cloves, ground
1/8 tsp cardamom, ground
1/8 fennel, ground
Pinch of black peppercorns, ground (optional, but it adds a punch to the spice mix!)
1. Mix all ingredients and store in a mini jar or container in a dry cool place.