Who knew that using sweet potato as toast could be such an easy and healthy breakfast or snack! Sweet potatoes pretty much grows on trees (ok, out of the ground), so it’s like a wholesome version of toast with minimal processing!
First, I blanched my sweet potato then I put it in my sandwich press. This method makes the sweet potato super fudgy on the inside and crisp on the outside.
I spread a generous amount of fresh peanut butter and chia jam on each piece of ‘toast’. I then loaded decorations on each toast to a certain theme:
1. Cinnamon toast: caramelised buckwheat, ground cinnamon
2. Fairy dust: puffed millet and puffed amaranth
3. Berry galore: Goji berries, dried blueberries, rose petals
4. Cacao: cacao nibs, crushed pistachios, shredded coconut
I got inspiration for each of these toasts using simple ingredients from my local Naked Foods, an organic bulk food store. The ingredients are pretty much leftover bits and bots from decorating cakes during the week! I’m not going to throw away my leftovers! Most Naked Foods stores have fresh nut butters in store or you can ask them to make it for you!
What’s your favourite toast topping?
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
This post was sponsored by Naked Foods. However, as always, all opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that allow Rainbow Nourishments to be sustainable.
- 1 large orange sweet potato
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries (defrosted)
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- ½ cup fresh peanut butter
- Decorations and toppings as desired
- Halve the sweet potato then slice lengthways to make 3-4 'toasts' per person. Blanch in a saucepan of boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain sweet potato then place on a heated sandwich press.
- Meanwhile, mash the mixed berries with a fork. Add chia seeds then mix. Set aside to thicken.
- Remove sweet potato from sandwich press then spread with peanut butter and chia jam.
- Add decorations and toppings then enjoy immediately!