Sometimes I feel like the world is going to explode. Election campaigning material is everywhere in Canberra. The media won’t stop talking about Brexit. Carbon emissions aren’t improving. Sometimes when the world is so serious, I escape to my playful and silly world of food.
A local cafe in Canberra called Patissez invented FreakShakes which have taken the world by storm. My vegan blogger buddy Rachel at Rawberry Fields recently created a delicious version of it. When I read her blog post, I was not only drooling but it felt so weird to see someone at the opposite side of the world talk about a cafe up the road from me!
Since I’m currently hosting a competition on Instagram with the Australian company Just Blends, I thought it’s fitting me to create my own pink dragon fruit FreakShake!
Initially I jumped onto it and tried shove as many pink dragon fruit items into a jar. I did that and it looked like Minnie Mouse’s vomit.
After a couple of attempts, I realised something. Since the freakshake is freakily busy, its different elements need to coordinated and well-planned.This freakshake has three main elements which perfectly complement each other: pink dragon fruit, coconut and banana. They are all summery and light flavours!
Tips: The drizzle inside the jar needs to be made of something that won’t mix with the smoothie base. The cream or ice cream on top needs to be light enough to float on the smoothie. The smoothie base also needs to be thick enough to support the cream or ice cream. And add something fun on top – but not too much, otherwise your Mount Everest will collapse and look like creamy vomit. We don’t want that!
This post was brought to you through a collaboration with Just Blends. While Just Blends provided the pink dragon fruit powder used in this recipe, all opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own.
- Melt the coconut butter and 1 tbsp of coconut cream over a double-boiler style. Use a spoon to smear coconut mixture inside of a jar and set aside in fridge.
- For the banana coconut cream: In a high-powered food blender, whizz 1 banana and a dash of coconut cream until creamy and thick. Scoop into a bowl and set aside in freezer.
- For the pink dragon fruit smoothie: Add 1 banana, pink dragon fruit powder and half of the remaining cream to the blender. Whizz until smooth. Remove and set aside in freezer.
- For the banana caramel: Add dates, ½ banana and remaining cream to the blender and whizz until smooth and thick.
- To assemble: Smear caramel on the rim of the jar. Pour in pink dragon fruit smoothie and top with banana coconut cream as desired. Top with cookie and enjoy!