As Winter gets cooler and gross flu viruses continue to float about, I feel more of a need to fuel my body with wholesome and nourishing meals.
Life has become more frantic, so I’ve become more grateful of the peaceful moment I get in the morning with my breakfast. It sounds like a romantic relationship doesn’t it? Or maybe breakfast has become my replacement for yoga? (I have a wrist injury and yoga has become a little more difficult.)Either way, this peanut butter and chia jam porridge bowl was a breakfast perfect treat. First, porridge itself is like a warm hug from the inside (thanks to me, I now I have a weird image of inside-out humans, with their exposed pink organs, hugging themselves…). The peanut butter gave me the extra energy boost that I needed to get out of bed and the berries provided just the right amount of sweetness saying ‘life isn’t too bad, is it?’
Even better, the porridge, jam and granola can be made from scratch within 15 minutes.
How do you all get yourself out of your bed and your house on a cold and frosty Winter morning?
- ½ cup rolled oats or an assortment of cereals/nuts/seeds in your pantry
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup
- ¼ cup raspberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (optional)
- 1 banana, mashed (optional)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Whatever you desire! (e.g. cacao nibs, coconut syrup, coconut and frozen berries)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the granola: Mix all ingredients in a bowl and spread on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for the raspberry chia jam: Mash the raspberries with a fork and mix through chia seeds. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the porridge: Add all ingredients to a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and reduce to a simmer. Stir porridge to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the saucepan. When the porridge has reached your desired consistency, separate into 2 bowls.
- Decorate the 2 bowls with granola, chia jam, additional peanut butter and any other toppings as desired. Enjoy!