Common introductory caption: I prepared this breakfast parfait for my sweetheart on Valentine’s Day.
What really happened: Sometime in February, in a desperate attempt to use my pantry items, I made double of what I would normally eat for breakfast. I just happened to give half of it to my boyfriend.
Acceptable rationale for making this: I wanted to give something thoughtful to my boyfriend for Valentine’s Day.
My real intention: I got bored. My boyfriend usually has fruit or store bought oat bars for breakfast so I thought I’d try to get him to eat more wholesome breakfasts. Am I being caring or trying to evily convert him over to the food I eat? Doesn’t matttterrr!
Sweet conclusion: He gave me a big hug and gave me something back for Valentine’s Day. Oh how sweet! I’m so loved!
What really happened…
Him: You are just coming over because you are bored aren’t you?
Me: (holds jar in hand with a cheesy smile) I made you breakfast for tomorrow! Seeee how thoughtful I ammmm!!!
Him: … so you are like ‘lalalala, I’ll just feed you whateeeverr, just so you can Instagram and blog about it?!’
Me: No…. (smile)
Him: See, you can’t deny it
Me: (Bursts out loud) Shhuuttt upppp!
This parfait has layers of overnight vanilla oats, a strawberry and beetroot chia pudding and chocolate granola. The vanilla, strawberry and chocolate make it sort of like neapolitan ice cream (okay, maybe I’m stretching it). However, it’s a step beyond neapolitan ice cream… the range of textures is like a party in your mouth! A smooth oat base, a bubbly pudding and crunchy granola to give it some bite!
- ¾ cup Table of Plenty Velvety Vanilla muesli* (or ¾ of any other muesli and ½ tsp of vanilla extract)
- ¾ cup almond, coconut or other plant-based milk
- ½ cup strawberry pieces
- ¼ cup beetroot (optional)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ¾ cup cacao granola (or plain granola with 1 tbsp cacao powder and a drizzle of rice malt syrup)
- The night before: a) Soak the muesli in ½ cup milk in a jar or bowl and put into the fridge. b) In a blender, whizz ¼ cup milk with strawberry pieces and beetroot until pureed and pour into a jar or bowl. Mix in the chia seeds with a fork and put in the fridge.
- The next morning: If you don't have cacao granola, in a small bowl, mix cup of plain granola with cacao with a drizzle of rice malt syrup.
- To assemble parfaits, in 2 jars spoon overnight oats into jar, then chia pudding then granola. Enjoy immediately!