Don’t get me wrong, I love rainbows and colourful things. However, I often feel like I’m having a secret affair with it’s arch rival, chocolate. Chocolate is just too damn tasty and I can’t resist.
Brown and chocolate coloured things don’t really fit in the scheme of ‘Rainbow Nourishments’ and I’m always a bit wary about providing inconsistent content. But it comes to a point where I can’t deny my infatuation with chocolate, especially when there is cacao in it. Seriously, I have this brown stuff several times a day and (serious tone) I want to be honest with my readers about this.
If you’ve been following my Instagram for a while, you may remember this insane nutella swirl raw cheesecake that I made at the beginning.
While we loved devouring this vegan beast, I thought it’d be much easier if the cake was in the form of slices, something that you could hold in one hand and eat with cutlery. That’s why ice cream sandwiches are amazing. Easy to hold, perfect as a snack, perfect for entertaining, adorable.
I also adjusted the recipe to make it more like ice cream and less like dense cheesecake. I added raspberry chia jam to break up the richness of the nutella.
I made them over the Christmas holidays and they only lasted a few days. Even though I’m the only vegan in the household, everyone else loved these treats.
- ½ cup raspberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 ¼ cup mixture of hazelnuts, buckwheat and coconut
- 1 cup dates, soaked in water overnight
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 ¼ cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1 ¼ cup banana
- ¼ cup hazelnut chocolate butter
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp coconut butter or oil
- The night before, soak the dates (for the sandwiches) and the cashews (for the ice cream) in enough water to cover.
- Line desired container with baking paper.
- For the raspberry jam: In a small saucepan over medium heat, gently warm up the raspberries and chia seeds and squash the raspberries with a fork. Simmer until it forms a thick jam. Set aside.
- For the sandwiches: Drain the dates. In a food processor, process all of the sandwich ingredients until crumbly but can be pressed between two fingers. Halve the mixture and firmly press one half into the bottom of your container dish to make a base. Set aside.
- For the ice cream base: Drain and rinse the cashews. In a food processor, process the cashews, coconut cream and banana until smooth and creamy. Remove half of the mixture from the food processor and set aside.
- For the vanilla ice cream: Add coconut butter/oil into the cashew mixture in the food processor and blitz until combined. Remove and set aside.
- For the nutella ice cream: Add the plain second half of the ice cream base to the food processor and add the hazelnut chocolate butter and cacao. Whizz until very combined.
- To assemble: Spread the raspberry jam onto the sandwich bas. Add alternating spoonfuls of the vanilla and nutella ice cream until used up. Gently dip a skewer or knife in the mixture and draw an 'S' shape to create a swirl effect.
- Roll out the remaining raw sandwich mixture into the shape of the container that you are using, place the mixture onto the ice cream layer and press lightly to get rid of any bubbles and gaps.
- Set the slice in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- When all layers of the slice are firm, slice and serve! (Tip: run your knife under hot water before you cut the slice!)