This vegan chocolate tofu tart is a healthy but decadent treat. It’s one recipe but provides three very different tarts depending on whether you bake it or where you let it set in the fridge or freezer. I love this recipe as each of the three variations provides a different culinary experience or you can just make it in a way that is convenient for you at the time.
Check out how smooth the raw tofu filling is:
My favourite of the three varieties is baking the tart. The heat of the oven intensifies the chocolatey goodness so much that it’s like a decadent brownie or a tart full of truffles. I loved it with coconut butter, a smear of almond butter, goji berries and mulberries:If you decide to set the tart in the fridge, the filling turns into a wonderful smooth chocolate mousse. I could eat the filling by the bowlful. Not spoonful, bowlful.
Even tofu-haters will indulge in this tart (yeeesss, I have tested this out). If I brought a dish to a social gathering with non-vegans (so basically every gathering!), I’d bring this!
- 200g silken tofu
- 125g chocolate (either homemade or store-bought – see note)
- 25g liquid sweetener
- Dash of coconut cream or almond milk if you want a thinner filling
- ¾ cup dates, soaked in just enough water to cover for at least 2 hours
- ¾ cup almonds or other nuts
- Pinch of salt
- If you have store-bought chocolate, melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add all filling ingredients to a food processor and whizz until smooth and creamy.
- Taste test and adjust accordingly (yum yum!).
- Remove mixture from food processor and set aside.
- For the base, drain the dates. Put dates and the rest of the base ingredients in a food processor and whizz until it forms a dough
- In lined tart tins or containers, firmly press the base mixture to the bottom (and sides if desired) to form the crust of the tart.
- Pour the filling into each tart tin.
- You can either:
- - Put it in the fridge for at least 3 hours to set.
- - Put it in the freezer overnight or until frozen. Defrost for 5 minutes before serving.
- - In a 180C oven, bake for 10 minutes or until the middle is not wobbly (pictured).
- Decorate as desired!
45g coconut butter
30g raw cacao
25g liquid sweetener
1. Mix all ingredients until combined.
2. Put into fridge to solidify or eat as is.