Healthy yet creamy alfredo pasta sauce packed with vegetables and with a hint of pesto! It’s low-fat, nut-free super easy to make and packed with protein (thanks to the cauliflower)!
I have such fond memories of eating pasta with alfredo sauce before going vegan. Whenever I am serving guests or am hosting food workshops, I serve zoodles with my super easy alfredo sauce or my basil alfredo sauce. The cashews in those recipes makes the sauce creamy and rich. However, to be honest, I really get over the taste of cashews as I use them allllll of the time in my raw cake business.
I heard of people using cauliflower as a base of creamy sauces for pasta, lasagna etc. I was pretty skeptical about it… However I had a massive cauliflower in my freezer for a month (I put it in there in my last minute rush to pack for a holiday overseas) and I had no idea what to do with it. With vegetables defrost, they get pretty mushy… so I needed to make the most of this vegetable mush.
There comes the cauliflower pasta sauce!
I’m not a massive fan of the taste of boiled cauliflower, so I packed it with heaps of other stuff including basil, kale, garlic, onion, tahini and nutritional yeast.
Voila! It was perfect! I quickly ran out of pasta, so you can also use this sauce as a base for salad dressings, as a dip or whatever you desire!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
- 2 cups raw cauliflower, chopped roughly
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup kale leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ - ½ cup nutritional yeast, or to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Garlic and onion powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil water in a medium saucepan and add cauliflower. Boil for 5 minutes then simmer for another 5-10 minutes until cauliflower is very soft.
- Drain cauliflower and add to a high-powered blender with rest of ingredients. Blend until as smooth as possible.
- Pour pasta sauce over pasta and toss until combined. Enjoy!