This quiche is perfect for summer as it’s quick to make, light but tasty and super satisfying. The creamy ‘ricotta and spinach’ (aka tofu, basil and spinach) filling perfectly complements the bursting cherry tomatoes.
The quiche is really pretty and presentable so it’s a great dish to bring to make for a dinner party (or eat it all yourself, which is what I did.) I somehow managed to make it look like a cake (I guess it’s a force of habit haha).
Have you guys eaten teff before? I received a sample in a recent GoodnessMe Box and was so intrigued! The grains look like granules of dried yeast (I promise, it doesn’t taste like anything like yeast haha). I simply boiled it, combined it with water, chia seeds and flavourings to make a healthy crust for the quiche. It adds a nice crumbly texture to the quiche and is not too heavy. Even better, teff is very high in iron, magnesium and dietary fibre! I used the Teff Tribe brand for those who are interested.
I love receiving samples of wholefoods in my GoodnessMe Box subscription. It’s a good way to try out lots of different foods and brands and it’s like receiving a tailored present every month! I got a pink latte mix in my recent box which I can’t wait to try out. If you want to get $10 off any 3 month plan with GoodnessMe Box, feel free to use my coupon ANTHEA10 (this is not sponsored).
Anyway, I hope you enjoy making and eating it as much as I did!
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Comment below or, if you post it on social media, tag @rainbownourishments and #rainbownourishments!
Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links to the GoodnessMe Box where I earn a small commission for every purchase made using my discount code. This does not incur additional charges to you but it helps me with costs to maintain this blog!
- ¾ cup teff grain
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds, ground
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 400g tofu
- ¾ cup plant-based milk
- ½ cup loose basil
- ½ cup spinach
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp black salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- Punnet of cherry tomatoes
- Preheat an oven to 180C.
- Add all crust ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix until combined. Set aside to thicken for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, add the tofu and milk to a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. If it's still a bit lumpy, gradually add more milk or water until smooth.
- Add the rest of the filling to the food processor and process until combined.
- When the crust has thickened, spread on the bottom and sides of a lined tart tin. The crust mixture should be thick enough that it holds shape on the sides of the tin.
- Gently scoop the filling mixture into the tart tin and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Arrange whole or halved cherry tomatoes on top of the quiche filling
- Bake quiche for 30 minutes or until the centre is set. Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes then take out of tart tin. Serve shortly after.