I can’t express how much I love granola and cereal. I have it for breakfast, sometimes as snacks and as a before-bedtime treat. I love that it’s crunchy, only slightly sweet and healthy (if you make your own).
My first Canberra housemate once said ‘Why don’t you close the bag of your cereal/granola’.
I responded quickly ‘Don’t worry, I’ll get to it before the air does’.
Housemate either laughed awkwardly or didn’t respond. I love sweetening my granola with wholefoods such as dates or banana. Of course you can use rice malt syrup or maple syrup, but I find them costly (at the rate I eat granola, cost can be an issue) and obviously more processed. Sometimes it’s nice (or just cute) to turn your everyday food into individual serving sizes of tarts, balls and the like. So, banana bread granola tart was the perfect answer to all of my life problems.
If you fill the tarts just before serving, they stay relatively crunchy. I love storing the tarts (unfilled) in the freezer as they are an easy go-to snack whenever I’m feeling peckish and they stay the crunchiest when stored this way.
- 2 bananas or 1 cup mashed banana
- ½ cup dates, pitted (if they are hard and dry, soak them in water for 2 hours beforehand then drain)
- 1 ½ cup raw buckwheat or rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup crumbled walnuts
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Put banana and drained dates in a small food processor and whizz until combined. If you don't have a food processor, mash roughly with the back of a fork.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Scoop mixture into silicon or non-stick cupcake tins and press gently against sides ensuring there is a thick layer of granola (about 1-1.5 cm thick)
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden-brown. Remove from oven then cool.
- Store tarts in the fridge or freezer until ready to serve. Fill with plant-based yoghurt (I used coconut yoghurt), fruit (I used Just Blends pink dragon fruit powder and fresh fruit) and whatever else you may desire!